Friends of Grand Rapids Parks
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: January 11, 2019
Do you like parks, trees, people, and being outside? Friends of Grand Rapids Parks (FGRP) is looking to hire an awesome individual to manage and develop FGRP’s urban forest program. The program is a partnership with the City of Grand Rapids that seeks to engage the entire community in growing a larger, healthier urban forest. You'll be responsible for working with the Executive Director and other urban forest partners to continue development, building, and management our urban forestry programming through strategic partnerships, volunteer programming, special events, workshops, and neighborhood engagement.
Additional roles and responsibilities include community outreach and engagement in target neighborhoods and working with other FGRP staff to translate data and feedback from outreach efforts into recommendations for FGRP programming. All FGRP team members work together to maximize systems for the organization that increase productivity and ensure the organization’s sustainability.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the items listed below. Position holder acknowledges and accepts that, while he/she is responsible for the items below, he/she may be, on occasion, asked to perform duties—within reason—outside of those listed below in order to help the organization complete a program or project, which furthers the organization’s mission.
Program Volunteer and Event Coordination:
- Develop and manage all urban forest program event and volunteer projects such as tree planting programs, tree pruning sessions, tree watering, educational workshops, inventory of Downtown District trees, and other related events.
- Manage all aspects of projects including volunteer recruitment and training, promotion of programs, site selection, tree species selection, tree bids and orders, tree delivery and placement, partner communication, obtaining permits, maintaining a database of FGRP trees, and all other project needs.
- Manage the Neighborhood Forester program including classes, training, workshops, unique volunteer opportunities, appreciation programs, and recruitment
- Organize and facilitate a new Youth Neighborhood Forester program.
- Manage tree maintenance internship programs.
- Continue to expand the program and increase community representation as a program of FGRP through innovative partnerships and learning from unique ideas in other communities.
- Consistently work to build a program maintain certifications and accreditations that bring recognition and attention to successes in Grand Rapids.
- Build and maintain key community and partner relationships for programs of FGRP
- Serve as a resource to volunteers as they pursue further knowledge and leadership in urban forestry and FGRP mission-related work in their neighborhoods.
- Track statistics about volunteer engagement, participation, and trends related to urban forestry volunteer events.
Development & Communication:
- Assist the Executive Director with research, editing, and reporting on grants for urban forestry programming
- Help identify and assist with revenue-generating projects, events, and programs
- Work with the Executive Director to help build the brand of FGRP and affirming that Urban Forest Project is a program of the organization
- Contribute to strategic and timely communication campaigns including monthly emails, social media, press releases
- Create tree related blog posts, articles, and social media posts for the program
- Check mailbox and general email account, replying to general phone and email inquiries where appropriate
- Help maintain a clean office environment
- Assist office recycling program
- Other duties as assigned
- Enthusiasm and infectious positive spirit
- Ability to think strategically and have fun
- Task-oriented, team focused, but can work independently
- Ability to build or willingness to build positive and meaningful relationships with diverse populations
- Experience and knowledge about tools of the forestry and arboriculture trades
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to positively represent the values and goals of FGRP
- Above average proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Has demonstrated community, volunteer, or organizational leadership skills and experience
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions, getting dirty, performing manual labor, and otherwise supporting volunteers to accomplish great projects
- ISA certified arborist or ability to obtain within 6 months, and 1 year of the demonstrated project and event management, or similar experience.
- Other desirables
- Experience working with nonprofit board or committees
- Active in the community
- Ability to speak Spanish
Physical Capacity Requirements:
This position requires lift over 10 pounds with occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations will be provided, if necessary, for individuals with disabilities who can perform the essential job functions of the assignment.
All employment with Friends of Grand Rapids Park is voluntary and is subject to termination by both Parties at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this agreement shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Friends of Grand Rapids Parks employees.
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references as a single PDF to email@example.com with “Urban Forest Coordinator” in the subject line. Application deadline: January 11 at 5:00 P.M. EST. For more information, please click here.