Delaware Forest Service
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Dover, DE
Application Deadline: January 5, 2020
The Urban Forester provides technical, financial and educational assistance to community forestry programs that contribute to the health and well-being of Delaware cities and communities. This URBAN FORESTER position reports directly to the Senior Forester and assist with the administration of Delaware Forest Service Urban and Community Forestry Programs including: grant applications and programs, recognition programs such as Tree City USA and Tree Friendly. The Urban Forester provides outreach to municipalities, homeowner groups, arborists, and tree professionals.
Click here for job preview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0XfVaarlw
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Provides expert consulting services on wildlife management, urban tree programs, economic aspects of woodland ownership and watershed management.
- Inventories forest resources, identifies trees, predicts growth and marks trees for cutting.
- Assists in the sale of timber, provides landowners with contractor bid lists, writes proposed contracts and oversees the work of successful contractors.
- Identifies types of insect infestations, tree diseases and recommends treatments.
- Identifies causes of poor soil, tree malnutrition and recommends treatments.
- Presents lectures, workshops, exhibits and slide shows to schools, civic and other organizations.
- Assists in fighting forest fires and operates specialty fire fighting equipment
- Writes technical reports and articles.
Job Requirements for Forester:
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Forestry, Natural Resources or related field.
- Six months experience in forest management including dendrology, forest fire behavior and control, forest mensuration, timber harvesting, forest management plans, and using tools and equipment such as prisms, clinometers and increment borers.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
- Knowledge of preventing, controlling and diagnosing tree insects and diseases.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Salary: Yearly: $39,484.00/Min - $49,355.00/Mid
Agency: Agriculture/Forest Services
Location(s): Agriculture Administration: (2320 S DuPont Hwy, Dover, DE, 19901)
For Questions Contact Human Resources at: (302) 698-4500Apply