Urban Forester IV
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Fairfax, VA
Application Deadline: January 4, 2019
Urban Forester IV
Serves as the Branch Chief for the Forest Pest Management Branch. Develops and implements the Forest Pest Integrated Management Branch annual plan. Presents annual plan to the Board of Supervisors for approval to ensure compliance with the "Fairfax County Special District for the Control of Forest Pest Infestations," and the integrated pest management approach (IPM) to forest pest control. Coordinates monitoring and suppression activities with various local, state and federal agencies. Reviews and provides input on proposed forest health environmental legislation and regulations. Represents the Forest Pest Management Branch at periodic Board of Supervisors' functions, scientific seminars and civic gatherings. Supervises, evaluates and trains the Forest Pest Management Branch technical and professional staff in all program areas. Keeps abreast of emerging technological, scientific, regulatory, social and legal issues that may impact the urban forest. Communicates on-going issues and recommends program level improvements relating to customer service, regulatory effectiveness, interagency interaction, personnel matters and capital equipment needs to the Urban Forest Management Division Director. Participates in the development and implementation of strategic planning initiatives for the division as a member of the division's senior leadership team.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in urban forestry, forestry, horticulture, entomology, environmental science, landscape architecture, ecology, or related field; plus five years of related professional experience in urban forest management and/or urban forest program management.
- Two years or more years of supervisory experience.
- Technical expertise and experience in communicating and resolving highly complex forest pest management issues among stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge of the science, principles and practices of urban forest management, including forest pest management.
- Experience in or knowledge of forest insect and disease monitoring and control in a suburban area.
- Program management experience including leading teams, budget preparation, and mentoring, training and coaching of staff.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with other county staff, civic groups, and state and federal agencies.
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Possession of a valid Certified Arborist certification issued by the International Society of Arboricultural within one year of appointment is required.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Category 2 or 3A Pesticide Applicator Certification or the ability to obtain same within one year of appointment is required.
- A valid driver's license is required.
Ability to operate keyboard-driven equipment. Ability to traverse rough terrain. Physically and mentally able to use all applicable personal protective equipment in an outdoor environment; including hard hat, eye protection, hearing protection, safety footwear. All duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodation.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
For more information, or to apply: please click the "Apply" button below.Apply