Urban Forestry Internship
City of Ann Arbor
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Application Deadline: February 16, 2021
The intern will perform tasks including, but not limited to:
- Implementing recommendations from the City's Urban and Community Forest
- Developing education/outreach materials
- Assisting with the Citizen Pruner program
- Updating City tree inventory in ArcMap
- Assisting in the management of the City’s Champion Tree program
- Investigating resident tree service requests
- Tree care activities, which may include assisting with, tree watering, tree planting,
raking, pulling brush, brush clean-up and small tree trimming
• Current enrollment in a two-or four-year college-level forestry, horticulture, landscape
architecture, natural resource management or closely related program.
• Experience working with ArcMap/Geographic Information System (GIS)
• Experience working with Microsoft Office programs, as well as general computer skills
• Ability to take instructions; work in a team environment and serve the public.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Valid driver's license. Must have the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle as he/she may be required to drive a vehicle for local travel.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to identity tree species.
Physical Requirements: Driving, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, seeing, and repetitive motions.
This work involves the ability to perform occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs