Urban Forestry Manager Texas
Texas Trees Foundation
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Dallas, TX
Application Deadline: May 26, 2021
Reports to: Director of Operations
Classification: Full-time permanent; exempt
Supervises: More than three employees
Salary Scale: Salary is commensurate with experience
The Texas Trees Foundation is currently seeking an Urban Forestry Manager to direct and oversee our urban forestry initiatives.
The Urban Forestry Manager is responsible for the planning, coordination, implementation, and tracking of the urban forestry department, related project support and the advancement of the Texas Trees Foundation mission in North Texas. This requires setting goals and objectives, supervision of department employees, establishing timelines and budgets, collaboration with partners, coordinating activities across teams, and tracking progress and results. Urban Forestry Manager will lead all urban forestry projects and oversee the successful completion of all Foundation tree planting projects. Develops the Foundation’s responses to urban forestry public policy issues and oversees the operation of the Foundation’s Tree Farm.
Texas Trees Foundation, a 501(c)(3), makes possible a higher quality of life for citizens, visitors and businesses through research, technology, and education to strategically protect, plant and care for trees and assure that all projects show a return on investment to support growth and livability. Far more than a tree planting organization, Texas Trees collaborates with urban planners, landscape architects, developers, corporations and municipalities to improve the overall quality of life for the citizens who call Dallas and North Texas home
- Supervises and manages several Urban Forestry Coordinators.
- Create and manage contracts as needed.
- Develop a presence in the community by building trust, buy-in and cooperation with community entities, such as community-based groups, elected officials, and others.
- Leads all urban forestry projects and oversees the successful completion of all Foundation tree planting projects.
- Identify potential urban forestry projects in preselected areas of North Texas
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of planting projects within prescribed time frames and funding parameters
- Manage and track all projects and create final reports
- Prepare project bids and assist Development Director with proposals
- Approve tree planting plans and make recommendations for appropriate species and landscape material
- Supports cities through GIS mapping and urban forestry planning
- Manage and supervise the Texas Trees Foundation Urban Tree Farm and staff
- Work effectively and provide input in program and project design
- Competent in the use of i-Tree software.
- GIS experience a plus
- Support the Marketing and Development team to identify and create promotional materials related to specific projects
- Inform and help coordinate photo opportunities for Marketing Department
- Represent Texas Trees Foundation at local, state and national conferences and meetings
- Maintains memberships in appropriate organizations
Tree Management Projects
- Seek out opportunities for new projects, tree sales, and urban forestry planning in cities throughout North Texas
- Build partnerships with municipalities, ISD’s, and other NGO’s
- Lead TTF projects for inventories, such as iTree –Eco studies and tree inventories
- Proficient in data collection for inventory needs
- Competent in writing reports and making presentation to city officials and staff
Relationships and Roles
- Values and supports partnerships that advance the work of the Texas Trees Foundation and enhances partners’ missions
- Inspires and supports North Texas cities in urban forestry planning and implementation of programs and projects
- Demonstrates the ability to interact and cooperate with all company employees.
- Commitment to the mission of the Texas Trees Foundation
- Builds trust, values others, communicates effectively, drives execution, fosters innovation, focuses on the customer, collaborates with others, solves problems creatively, and demonstrates high integrity
- Maintains professional internal and external relationships that meet company core values
- Education: Undergraduate or Post-Graduate degree in Urban Forestry preferred, forestry, horticulture, or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years-experience
- Certification: Arborists Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture, or the ability to obtain within one year of appointment
- Driving: Valid Texas driver’s license with clean driving record
- Communication: Professional demeanor, superior written and oral communication skills, ability to interact and work with a variety of audiences, including but not limited to arborists, city officials and staff, urban foresters, volunteers, contractors, private partners.
- Computer: Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Budgeting: Experience formulating and adhering to set project budgets
- Personal: Excellent time management and organization skills with a high attention to details, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to encourage, motivate, and build effective teams, creating mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members and volunteers
- Hours: Ability and willingness to work flexible schedules which includes some evenings and weekends, occasional overnight travel may be required
- Safety: Ability to safely lift objects in excess of 50 lbs. and work within safety standards.
This is a full-time position, which provides competitive pay commensurate with experience; 75% health insurance coverage; vacation; and a supportive and engaging work environment with opportunities for professional development. Flexible schedule averaging 40 hours per week.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and references to Norm@texastrees.org. This job posting will be open until the position is filled.
No telephone calls please.