Pond Hill Farm
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Harbor Springs, MI
Application Deadline: May 24, 2019
Pond Hill Farm is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team and assume management of our vineyard plantings which supply wine grapes for our estate-grown wine production. We are a small farm in Northern Michigan specializing in unique agritourism experiences ranging from fresh produce, canned goods, a year-round farm-to-table cafe, to farm-brewed craft beer and wine.
This is a full time seasonal position with the opportunity for year-round employment. This position represents a chance to work with relatively new cold hardy varietals in a burgeoning newly-established “Tip of the Mitt” AVA. This is a great opportunity to gain experience in cold-climate viticulture.
Our ideal candidate is someone passionate about growing high-quality wine grapes from relatively new regionally adapted varieties. Interest in Local Food, Farming, and/or Fermentation is a plus. The Vineyard is just one part of the larger farm and the position of vineyard manager will be expected to at times help out in other departments as necessary. This position requires the flexibility to work weekdays, weekends, early mornings, and evenings as the work requires.
- Execute and update the vineyard management plan
- Perform the majority of the seasonal vineyard tasks including, but not limited to: dormant pruning & training, spraying, fertilizing, canopy management, bird netting, testing fruit chemistry, etc.
- Train and supervise vineyard/intern crew during periods of additional labor need
- Maintain vineyard tools and infrastructure e.g. trellising
- Provide training and periodic updates on vineyard operations to staff, customers, and wine club members
- Organize and oversee harvest days
- Function as a member of the production team offering input on wine making decisions and marketing
- Keep records of and report monthly and annually on yields, labor, and expenses
- Assist with care and management of U-pick small fruit crops on the farm
- Maintain the aesthetic appearance of the vineyard plantings
- Knowledge of basic horticultural principals
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- The ability to self motivate and stay on task
- The ability to operate tractors and 3 point vineyard equipment
- Experience in construction, heavy equipment operation, small engine repair
- Previous Vineyard/Farm/Management experience
- Possesses current MI Pesticide/Herbicide Applicators License
- Certificate or Degree in Viticulture, Enology, Agriculture
- Winemaking/Brewing/Fermentation experience
Compensation and Benefits
- Schedule: Full-time hourly seasonal
- 5 days/week
- March through November
- Opportunity for year-round employment
- Pay: Competitive - Commensurate with experience
- Additional Perks: Access to farm produce, discounts in the Cafe, Farm Market, Winery, & Brewery