Volunteer and Community Outreach Associate
The Greening of Detroit
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Application Deadline: September 21, 2018
Volunteer and Community Outreach Associate
The Greening of Detroit is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working with residents, block clubs, community development corporations, schools, faith-based organizations and businesses to grow a greener Detroit. Our mission is to support a healthy urban community through trees, healthy green spaces, environmental education, workforce development, and building community capacity. Since 1989, we have worked to reforest the City of Detroit. Today, we plant and distribute approximately 2,000 trees annually, throughout Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park. We also work closely with the City of Detroit, through the departments of General Services/Parks and Recreation, Planning and Sustainability.
Every year, The Greening of Detroit relies on the generosity of hundreds of volunteers sharing their time, effort and skills to support our mission. Within the Green Infrastructure department, our work includes tree plantings, native plant installations, community presentations and conversations, event tabling, and campaign support.
We are looking for a Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate to spark the Greening team that excites, engages and partners with corporate and community volunteers on the benefits of trees, native plants, stormwater management. As a successful candidate, you have a proven ability to organize and inspire individuals from diverse backgrounds and all skill levels. Whether those individuals are serving as a community group or a corporate volunteer day, you know your audience, what motivates them, and what encourages their best work during a one day event or a longer term campaign.
Working hand in hand with the Director and Community Forestry team, you and your Volunteer + Community Outreach Coordinator will help create and lead a fresh, positive, culture of environmentalism and sustainability at The Greening of Detroit.
The Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate will be based out of The Greening of Detroit’s office, and will meet with volunteer and community groups throughout Detroit on a regular basis. These meeting and community events may be during weekends and evenings.
Required Education, Experience, Skills: The ideal candidate will hold a Bachelors of Arts or Science, in Community Education & Outreach, Environmental Interpretation, Environmental Science or a related field, and minimum 2 years work experience.
Non-degreed candidates with at least 4 years’ experience in the field and who has completed coursework in Education, Community Development or Environmental Science are encouraged to apply. Please include course names and any relevant certifications.
Progress and achievement are critically important at The Greening of Detroit and the successful candidate will support the organization’s vision for Detroit’s urban forest, environmental education, and stewardship by putting put vision into action. Candidates must also display professionalism, independent judgment and decision-making ability, self-motivation and a team mentality.
Role and Responsibilities:
Your role as the Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate is to manage the Volunteer and Community Outreach Program with your unique understanding of the organization’s mission and matching it with the needs and interests of a variety of audiences, from community to corporate, at the direction of leadership. The Greening works with Detroiters of all ages, education levels, income, and abilities, with special focus on youth, elderly, and the formerly incarcerated.
As a successful candidate, you are an engaging organizer with a collaborative, empathetic ear, and decisive personality. You quickly learn and understand new information and translate it to a community audience. A genuine appreciation for improving quality of life for Detroit and its residents is a must.
Bonus, you are experienced in mentoring and training youth, and are a process oriented, collaborative self-starter, capable of training junior staff.
Work tasks include:
- Volunteer Management (35%)
- Managing the Citizen Forester program, The Greening of Detroit’s advanced volunteer program that supports our Spring and Fall tree plantings.
- In cooperation with GI department staff, Organizing and Scheduling Citizen Forester trainings, tree plantings and end of season events.
- Acting as the day of contact for tree plantings and volunteer events.
- During all volunteer events, Managing and being accountable for event set-up and break down of registration. (e.g. Tents, sign-in sheets, name tags, snacks, porta potty, etc.)
- Maintain a clean and safe workspace at events, and abide by workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
- Volunteer Outreach (35%)
- Building relationships with existing and future volunteer groups through multiple channels, including in person, email, website requests, social media, and community relationships.
- Working with the GI Director, Community Forester, Nursery Manager, and Garden Manager to identify internal volunteer work opportunities (e.g. City parks, Meyers Nursery, Lafayette Greens) and match up with volunteer requestors.
- Proactively managing the Volunteer + Community Outreach Coordinator to identify potential external volunteer opportunities where Greening of Detroit volunteers can be of service (e.g. lot clean ups, non-Greening of Detroit green space projects, invasive species removal, partner organization events, etc.) and match up with volunteer requestors.
- Brainstorming and implementing creative, engaging community-focused environmental campaigns to reach specific audiences.
- Understanding potential costs and Create budgets associated with different types of volunteer and community events.
- Providing excellent and timely customer service.
- Administration (30%)
- Goal setting, progress tracking and maintaining detailed records and statistics on volunteer and community outreach and engagement for grant reporting.
- Maintaining records of expenses related for volunteer and community outreach events.
- Working with web and social media coordinator to develop and implement social media as it relates to volunteer and community events.
- Additional tasks, as directed by the Director of Green Infrastructure
Submit 1-2 page resume and cover letter by email to Sue Hudnut, email@example.comApply