Volunteer and Community Outreach Coordinator
The Greening of Detroit
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Application Deadline: September 21, 2018
Volunteer and Community Outreach Coordinator
The Greening of Detroit is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working with residents, block clubs, community development corporations, schools, faith-based organizations and businesses to grow a greener Detroit. Our mission is to support a healthy urban community through trees, healthy green spaces, environmental education, workforce development, and building community capacity. Since 1989, we have worked to reforest the City of Detroit. Today, we plant and distribute approximately 2,000 trees annually, throughout Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park. We also work closely with the City of Detroit, through the departments of General Services/Parks and Recreation, Planning and Sustainability.
Every year, The Greening of Detroit relies on the generosity of hundreds of volunteers sharing their time, effort and skills to support our mission. Within the Green Infrastructure department, our work includes tree plantings, native plant installations, community presentations and conversations, event tabling, and campaign support.
We are looking for a Volunteer + Community Outreach Coordinator to spark the Greening team that excites, engages and partners with community and corporate volunteers on the benefits of trees, native plants, stormwater management. As a successful candidate, you have a proven ability to organize and inspire individuals from diverse backgrounds and all skill levels. Whether those individuals are serving as a community group or a corporate volunteer day, you know your audience, what motivates them, and what encourages their best work during a one day event or a longer term campaign.
Working hand in hand with the Director and Community Forestry team, you will report to and work with the Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate to help create and lead a fresh, positive, culture of environmentalism and sustainability at The Greening of Detroit.
The Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate will be based out of The Greening of Detroit’s office, and will meet with volunteer and community groups throughout Detroit on a regular basis. These meeting and community events may be during weekends and evenings.
Required Education, Experience, Skills:
The ideal candidate will hold an Associate’s Degree in Community Education & Outreach, Environmental Interpretation, and Environmental Science or a related field, and minimum 2 years work experience.
Non-degreed candidates with at least 3 years’ experience in the field and has completed some coursework in Education, Community Development or Environmental Science are encouraged to apply. Please include course names and any relevant certifications.
Progress and achievement are critically important at The Greening of Detroit and the successful candidate will support the organization’s vision for Detroit’s urban forest, environmental education, and stewardship by putting put vision into action. Candidates must also display professionalism, independent judgment and decision-making ability, self-motivation and a team mentality.
Role and Responsibilities in Rank Order:
Your role as the Volunteer + Community Outreach Coordinator is to support the Volunteer and Community Outreach Program with your unique understanding of the organization’s mission and matching it with the needs and interests of a variety of audiences, from community to corporate, at the direction of leadership. The Greening works with Detroiters of all ages, education levels, income, and abilities, with special focus on youth, elderly, and the formerly incarcerated.
As a successful candidate, you have a quick ability to learn and understand new information and translating it to a community audience. You pay great attention to detail, and are a collaborative self-starter, eager to grow professionally. Bonus, you have experience in mentoring and organizing youth.
Work tasks include:
- Volunteer Support (40%)
- Support the Citizen Forester program, The Greening of Detroit’s advanced volunteer program that supports our Spring and Fall tree plantings. Including:
- Assisting in the organizing and scheduling Citizen Forester trainings and planting events.
- During all volunteer events and being accountable for event set-up and break down of registration. (e.g. Tents, sign-in sheets, name tags, snacks, porta potty, etc.)
- Maintain a clean and safe workspace at events.
- Volunteer and Community Outreach (40%)
- Building relationships with existing and future volunteer groups through multiple channels, including in person, email, social media, and community relationships.
- Proactively working with the Volunteer + Community Outreach Associate and the rest of GI Department to understand internal volunteer work opportunities (e.g. City parks, Meyers Nursery, Lafayette Greens) and match up with volunteer requestors.
- Proactively identifying potential external volunteer opportunities where Greening of Detroit volunteers can be of service (e.g. lot clean ups, partner organization green space projects, invasive species removal, etc.) and match up with volunteer requestors.
- Brainstorming and implementing creative, engaging community-focused environmental campaigns to reach specific audiences.
- Understanding costs associated with different types of volunteer and community events.
- Providing excellent and timely customer service.
- Administration (20%)
- Maintaining detailed records and expenses for volunteer and community outreach and engagement for grant reporting.
- Promote volunteer and community events on social media, as instructed.
- Additional tasks, as directed by the Director of Green Infrastructure
Submit 1-2 page resume and cover letter by email to Sue Hudnut, email@example.comApply