Whiting Forest Orchard Specialist
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Midland, MI
Application Deadline: November 7, 2018
Whiting Forest of Dow Gardens Orchard Specialist
Whiting Forest Senior Horticulturist and Grounds Manager
Commensurate with experience (benefits include 401K, health, dental, and
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references (including email
1018 W. Main Street
Midland, MI 48640
The Whiting Forest of Dow Gardens Orchard Specialist will serve as an integral part of a team that is
responsible for the management, maintenance, and care of the grounds with a focus on the
newly-planted orchard. Currently, 170 fruit trees are planned for the two-acre space reminiscent of the
orchard planted by entrepreneur Herbert H. Dow nearly a century ago. The successful candidate will
have demonstrated experience in orchard management, orchard management scouting programs, as
well as chemical application programs. We are seeking people-oriented individuals with a
demonstrated ability to work well with others and a desire to work with the public including leading
guided tours and assisting with educational programming.
- Manage all aspects of horticultural care including day-to-day maintenance.
- Develop and implement best practices for the new Orchard to achieve exceptional horticultural standards in consort with The Whiting Forest Grounds Manager.
- Positively motivate and lead volunteer and seasonal staff.
- Perform all levels of landscape and grounds maintenance tasks as directed.
- Safely and effectively use a variety of tools including mechanized equipment.
- General grounds work will include snow removal, pruning, tree work, mowing, weeding, and other tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture with an emphasis in orchard management or related field or experience.
- Familiarity with modern growing orchard techniques.
- Broad hands-on knowledge of standard horticultural practices including but not limited to planting, fertilization, irrigation, propagation, pruning, and integrated pest management.
- Valid driver’s license and hold (or have an ability to obtain) a Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s Certification; 1C, 3A, 3B.
- Comfortable handling machinery including tractors, chainsaws, and other implements.
- Thrive in a four-season outdoor work environment.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
About Whiting Forest of Dow Gardens
Founded in 1899, the 110-acre Dow Gardens is operated by the Herbert H. and Grace A Dow Foundation. More than 138,000 annual visitors enjoy an Estate Garden, Exploration Garden, and Whiting Forest. Major projects are currently underway at Whiting Forest, a 54-acre parcel of Dow Gardens. These include construction of a 1,400-foot canopy walk, visitor center, apple orchard, playground, café, and more. Visitors will enjoy new perspectives of nature as they rise 40 feet above the forest floor on the longest fully-accessible canopy walk in the nation. For more information, visit: http://www.dowgardens.org/whitingforestproject or click here.