Class of 2015
2015 Michigan Lake and Stream Leaders Institute
This page is a source for materials used in the 2015 Lake and Stream Leaders Insititute.
*Note: PowerPoint presentations have been generously shared by our presenters. The files have been converted to PDF format and are available here in two versions: full-screen slides in full color and black and white “handout” versions with six slides per page for easy printing.
2015: Session 1 Materials
Tragedy of the Commons: Why We Need Lake and Stream Leaders
- Hands-on demonstration: Julia Kirkwood, DEQ and Jo Latimore, MSU. Instructions to Create Your Own Lake and initial set-up photograph.
Engaging Public Participation in Natural Resource Management
Communication Skills for Lake and Stream Leaders
- Presentation: Dr. Cliff Lampe, University of Michigan. Full screen slides Reduced size for printing.
- Presentation: David Poulson, MSU. Full screen slides Reduced size for printing.
- Link: Pew Research Center
- Link: Great Lakes Echo
Dealing with Conflict Constructively
Watershed Management for Lake and Stream Protection
Wetlands: Ecology and Policy - Jeff Silagy, DEQ
- Presentation: Water Law Concepts in Michigan. Full screen slides Reduced size for printing.
- Presentation: DEQ Laws and Permit Process for Waters and Wetlands. Full screen slides Reduced size for printing.
- Presentation: Wetlands Identification and Ecology. Full screen slides Reduced size for printing.
Managing Aquatic Invasive Species: The Higgins Lake Boat Washes
2015: Session 2 Materials
Fisheries Habitat, Ecology and Human Impacts
Natural Shorelines on Michigan Lakes and Streams
Michigan Water Law
- Presentation: Bob Reichel, Michigan Office of the Attorney General
Understanding Lakes: Field Experience at Wintergreen Lake
Field Experience: Lakes and Streams
- Link: A Citizen’s Guide for the Identification, Mapping and Management of the Common Rooted Aquatic Plants of Michigan Lakes by H. Wandell and L. Wolfson. MSU Extension WQ-55, 2007.
- Link: MiCorps volunteer stream monitoring protocols and data sheets
- Link: Guide to the Aquatic Invertebrates of the Upper Midwest by R.W. Bouchard, Jr., University of Minnesota.