2016 Pest and Crop Management Update for Field Crop Producers and Agronomists
Participants will learn new information about pest and crop management research and practices in field crops.
Michigan State University Extension specialists and educators will present new information about pest and crop management at six upcoming educational meetings, titled “Pest and Crop Management Update for Field Crop Producers and Agronomists.” The meeting dates, locations, the hosting MSU Extension office and phone numbers are listed below:
- Jan. 12, Shifter’s Restaurant in Alma, Michigan, contact the Isabella MSU Extension office at 989-317-4079 for more information.
- Jan. 14, Bavarian Inn Lodge in Frankenmuth, Michigan, contact the Lapeer MSU Extension office at 810-667-0341 for more information.
- Jan. 15, Sanilac Career Center in Peck, Michigan, contact the Sanilac MSU Extension office at 810-648-2515 for more information.
- Feb. 2, Alpena Community College in Alpena, Michigan, contact the Presque Isle MSU Extension office at 989-734-2168 for more information.
- Feb. 3, The Trestle Stop Restaurant in Hamilton, Michigan, contact the Van Buren County MSU Extension office at 269-657-8213 for more information.
- Feb. 4, Dowagiac Conservation Club in Dowagiac, Michigan, contact the Van Buren County MSU Extension office at 269-657-8213 for more information.
The following topics will be covered at all six meetings: commodity group updates, insecticide seed treatment effects on crop yields, farm income and the environment, wheat, soybean and corn disease management update, 2016 weed control guide update and recommendations for managing challenging weeds and a summary of MSU nutrient and crop management research in corn, soybeans and wheat. A presentation on forage improvement on a shoestring budget will replace a presentation highlighting the 2015 SMaRT (Soybean Management and Research Technology) on-farm soybean research at the Alpena location. All of the programs have been approved for five pesticide applicator credits and five certified crop advisor credits.
MSU Extension, the Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee, the Corn Marketing Program of Michigan and the Michigan Wheat Program are cosponsoring the meetings. The registration fee for the program is $25 per person which includes a complimentary copy of the “2016 Weed Control Guide for Field Crops.” Pre-registration is requested and can be accomplished online or by phone. To register online, please go to the Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting Event page at http://events.anr.msu.edu/IPMcropsmgmt2016/. To register by phone, please call the MSU Extension office hosting the meeting you want to attend. Space may be limited at some locations, so be please register early and at least two days before the date of the meeting.
This article was produced by the SMaRT project (Soybean Management and Research Technology). The SMaRT project was developed to help Michigan producers increase soybean yields and farm profitability. The SMaRT project is a partnership between Michigan State University Extension and the Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee.
Did you find this article useful?