2017 Agriculture Census has been extended

Still time for producers to complete USDA NASS forms.

At the end of 2017, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) began sending 2017 Agriculture Census forms to over three million U.S. agricultural producers. The Census of Agriculture began in 1840, and since that time has served as the principle source of U.S. agricultural related information. Because information from agricultural producers is only collected every five years, it is extremely important for producers to complete and return the forms. Agricultural operations that produced and sold (or normally would have sold), $1,000 or more of agricultural product(s) in 2017 are included.  According to the USDA, data in the Census is confidential by law, will only be published in aggregate, and can only be used for statistical purposes.

Producers, researchers, elected officials, policy makers, educators, commodity organizations, and many others use the Agriculture Census to inform policy decisions, advocate on behalf of farmers and farming organizations, and much more.  Statistics reported in the Census of Agriculture are only useful if producers fill out and submit the forms. For the 2017 Census, producers have the option, and are encouraged to complete the forms online. View the Ag Census report form online, or view instructions in pdf form.

In order to complete the online survey, you will need the 17 -digit code from the address label on the questionnaire or letter you received in the mail from the USDA. Anyone who produced crops or livestock or received government payments associated with an agricultural activity during 2017 and did not receive a report form by February 1, 2018, should call 1-888-424-7828.

While the census response deadline is February 5, 2018, USDA officials will be accepting paper forms through the middle of March, and online submissions through the end of June.

If you have questions, please contact the USDA or your local Michigan State University Extension office. 

Did you find this article useful?