2020-21 FCWG Learning Exchange Series: Private Sector Investments and Assurances for Climate-smart Forestry
In this webinar, speakers Darren Sleep and Betty Cremmins will present "Private Sector Investments and Assurances for Climate-smart Forestry."
Private Sector Investments and Assurances for Climate-smart Forestry
This session will feature speakers familiar with the intersection of forests, the business community, and climate change mitigation. The private sector is increasingly concerned with addressing climate change, including through net-zero commitments, placing a new focus on sustainable forest products and major interventions like large-scale reforestation. Join us to hear from speakers on the current state of these discussions, as well as investment and assurances required to achieve intended outcomes.
- Darren Sleep is a natural resources scientist and writer with a background in the application of science and its use in guiding operational decision making and public policy. As Senior Director of Conservation Strategies with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), his work focuses on sustainability and conservation as they relate primarily to forestry, wildlife management and biological diversity, climate change adaptation and mitigation, water management in forested systems, and the development of partnerships with natural resource industries, academics, and like-minded research organizations. In North America he works to expand SFI’s conservation and science credentials and increase SFI’s capacity to develop and manage conservation projects in Canada and the United States. Internationally he works with the IUCN and the UNECE to help bridge the gap between science and policy on issues related to forests and forest ecosystem management. Prior to joining SFI, Darren worked as Project Leader in Forest Ecology at the National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, where he worked on issues of relevance to the forest sector and liaised with the scientific and conservation biology communities. Darren holds a Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Guelph.
- Betty Cremmins is a “climate intrapreneur” who has dedicated her career to engaging diverse stakeholders to accelerate innovative environmental and humanitarian solutions. At the World Economic Forum she co-leads the creation and launch of theUS Chapter of 1t.org (Trillion Tree Platform) which serves a global movement to conserve, restore and grow a trillion trees over the coming decade. For the past decade she helped CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) build the world’s largest environmental data disclosure platform to transition companies and their supply chains to a climate-resilient, water-secure and deforestation-free economy. With a background in greenhouse gas footprinting, green building and environmental policy, Betty has worked on climate change mitigation projects around the world, from the US Gulf Coast to sub-Saharan Africa to Antarctica. She holds a MPA in Environmental Science & Policy from Columbia University and a BA from New York University. Betty is an Advisory Board Member of the world’s first Climate Museum, Advisory Council Member of the American Resilience Project, and Security Fellow with the Truman National Security Project.
- Presentation Slides
- Other Resources
- 1t.org US Chapter pledges to conserve, restore and grow trees/forests over the coming decade (currently at 50+ pledges of over 49.3B trees… and counting!)
- 1t.org Corporate Alliance and Commitments and Members
- “Investing in Forests: The Business Case” report
- Articles on nursery capacity limitations:
- Nature Net Zero report outlining the opportunities to scale up nature-based solutions
- Increasing alignment and capacity around monitoring, mapping and transparency
- Information on the SFI Standards Revision process
- Information on the revised SFI Standards
- Information on SFI Conservation Impact Project
- Q+A - coming soon