4-H ambassadors can build communication skills for career preparation
Communication is a tool for job preparation as 4-H ambassadors fulfill their responsibilities.
Youth can gain skills to prepare for their career through a 4-H ambassadors program. First, applying to become a 4-H ambassador gives youth an experience similar to the process of applying for a job. Michigan State University Extension suggests that they gain experience by filling out an application and interviewing. If youth are selected to become a 4-H ambassador, they can build skills for future jobs through community service learning.
Becoming a 4-H ambassador also includes responsibilities. One responsibility that may come with being a 4-H ambassador is to promote and represent 4-H in the county and at local events. Communication is needed to help promote and represent 4-H and it is a life skill as well as a career skill. 4-H ambassadors can build their communication skills for their future careers through a series of activities by:
- Using the Michigan 4-H promotional materials to market 4-H in the county
- Writing articles for the county 4-H newsletter to encourage a county-wide effort among 4-H members, families and volunteers to promote 4-H
- Using social media with program staff to promote and market 4-H
- Creating local videos to highlight the local 4-H experience in the community
- Serving as a vendor at community events to speak to youth and adults about joining 4-H
- Attending county commissioner meetings with staff to talk about the positive impact of 4-H
- Attending different civic club meetings to share the experience of the benefits of 4-H
Michigan 4-H Youth Development has resources to help ambassadors develop their communication skills through a resource called Communications Toolkit: Fun, Skill-Building Activities to Do With Kids. This resource has activities to help youth carry out some of the activities to promote 4-H in their counties.
As ambassadors develop communication skills, they can consider careers in the communication field. Michigan State University offers majors for careers in communications in the College of Communication Arts and Sciences.
Members who become 4-H ambassadors have an opportunity to develop careers skills that can lead to a career path. This can be developed by fulfilling some of the responsibilities to promote 4-H and work on different projects in the county relating to communications. As ambassadors take advantage of developing the career skills of communications while promoting 4-H in your county.
Did you find this article useful?