Cool off by making ice cream in a bag
One way to cool off this summer is to eat cool food like ice cream. Make your own ice cream in a bag – it is a favorite food and activity of kids.
Trying to find ways to cool off is on everyone’s mind this summer with the high temperatures we have been having. One way to cool off is to eat cool food like ice cream.
Why not make your own ice cream? Kids love to make their own ice cream in this fun way:
- Wash hands thoroughly for 20 seconds.
all the ingredients which include:
- 1 sealable sandwich-size plastic freezer bag
- 1 sealable gallon size plastic freezer bag
- 1 quart ice cubes (enough to fill a large bag ¾ full)
- 1 cup of table or rock salt
- 1 cup of very cold whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Put the vanilla, sugar and milk in the sandwich bag. Seal it with as little air inside as possible.
- Squeeze the bag carefully until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Place the small bag inside the larger bag.
- Add the ice and salt to the larger bag. Squeeze gently to mix the salt and ice.
- Seal the bag tightly, then turn it continuously, or shake it, until the ice cream reaches desired consistency (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove the small bag and wipe the outside of the bag with a cloth before opening.
- Enjoy your delicious, nutritious soft ice cream.
You could use fruit flavored milk, like strawberry milk, to make strawberry ice cream. Eating fruit flavored ice cream, like strawberry ice cream, would be a great way to cool off and it would be even better if you got a serving of fruit from it, but unfortunately there is not enough fruit in flavored milk to allow it to qualify as one of your servings of fruit. To get a serving of fruit put a half-cup of pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or other type of fruit on the top of any flavor ice cream.
Remember the childhood saying “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream”? Once you have tried ice cream like this you’ll scream, I’ll scream, we’ll all scream for ice cream!