Farmers markets are open!
Macomb County farmers markets expand days and services.
June 5, 2013 - Author: Katherine E. Hale, Michigan State University Extension
With Memorial Day behind us, summer is officially here and local farmers markets are open for business!
We can all play a role in supporting local businesses and our local economy by stopping in at our local farmers markets. Even in late spring and early summer, the markets are offering a diverse selection of products such as greens, herbs, honey, Michigan Cottage Food approved baked goods and handmade items like soaps – items we can all enjoy.
Some markets are offering special events such as cooking demonstrations – check these out at the Mt. Clemens Farmers Markets on Saturdays featuring the Michigan State University Extension staff, live music, family fun, children’s activities and gardening help.
What’s available this time of year? In June you will be able to find Rhubarb, Asparagus, Strawberries and greens. If you haven’t put your vegetable garden in or dressed up those flower beds, many greenhouses have starter plants. Many markets have expanded their vendor lists to have products like eggs, meat, cheese, honey, baked goods and jams and jellies, and herbs. To find information on storing and using these products visit Michigan Fresh.
New at several markets this year are other services such as EBT, Double Up Food Bucks and credit card machines. EBT or Electronic Benefits Transfer allows markets to accept food stamps benefits. Cards are swiped in exchange for tokens that are spent with the farmers like money. The farmers then get reimbursed by the market when the market ends. This season, Mt. Clemens, Warren and soon Eastpointe will all be accepting EBT in addition to New Baltimore. This creates greater healthier food access and food security for all families. Credit card machines will offer more convenience to those who don’t often carry cash.
Here are some of the farmers markets in the greater Macomb County area:
- Armada Flea Market – Sundays and Tuesdays 6 a.m. -1p.m.
- New Baltimore Farmers Market – Sundays, 8 a.m. -1p.m. (beginning July 14)
- Shelby Township Farmers Market – Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Romeo Farmers Market - Scheduled Saturday Market at the Village Park in Downtown Romeo - follow link for details
- Mt. Clemens Farmers Market – Fridays and Saturdays, 7 a.m. - 1p.m.
- Warren Farmers Market – Sundays 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. (City Center)
- Warren Farmers Market – Saturdays 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Owen Jax Center) (beginning July 6)
- Eastpointe Farmers Market – Monthly from May - December. Next dates are June 15, July 20, Aug. 17, 9 a.m. - noon.
- Vantage Point Farmers Market – Tuesdays and Saturdays, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Detroit Eastern Market - Saturdays, 6 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Don’t forget you can shop at Farms Stand everyday like, Northern Farm Market, Boyka-DeCock’s, DeBruyns, Kutchey’s, Campbells, and more around Macomb County.