Field Crop Virtual Breakfast on June 20 will discuss protecting fields from tar spot
MSU Extension’s Field Crop Virtual Breakfast continues June 20 with a discussion on identifying and managing corn tar spot, a new fungal pathogen, with MSU’s Martin Chilvers.
The 2018 growing season showed rapid expansion of a corn leaf disease called tar spot. First found in the U.S. in 2015 and in Michigan in Allegan County in 2016, the disease spread widely around fields in southwest Michigan. One legacy of the disease is the amount of volunteer corn that is being seen in 2019. Severely infected plants deteriorated rapidly in late August and early September last year, causing significant lodging and poor test weight in corn.
Chilvers will discuss tar spot’s life cycle and areas where the disease was found in 2018, how to identify the symptoms, when to scout, when to treat and what fungicides might provide the best control. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions during the meeting. Jeff Andresen, MSU’s field crops climatologist, will also provide an updated outlook for weather. Please join us.
Participating is easy!
You can join using your computer or mobile device (audio and visual) following the Zoom link: https://msu.zoom.us/j/552324349. Or, call in from your phone (audio only) by dialing 669-900-6833 and enter meeting ID 552-324-349.
To receive a weekly email reminder of the Virtual Breakfast, sign up at http://eepurl.com/gm-PIv. Participants receiving emails can opt in or out at any time.
Can’t make it Thursday morning? Watch the recording!
For those who cannot join on Thursdays at 7 a.m., the Virtual Breakfast sessions will be recorded for later viewing with closed-captioning on the Field Crops Virtual Breakfast webpage. Podcasts are also available on the following platforms: iTunes and Spotify.
Scheduled topics and dates
Note that these may change to cover breaking pest and weather situations.
- June 20 – Managing tar spot with Martin Chilvers
- June 27 – Irrigation scheduling with Steve Millerand Lyndon Kelley
- July 4 – No call, Fourth of July
- July 11 – Nematode management with Marisol Quintanilla
- July 18 – Cover crop management with Dean Baas
- July 25 – Managing sugar beet pests with Daniel Bublitz
- August 1 – Insect management with Chris DiFonzo
- August 8 – Plant disease update with Martin Chilvers
- August 15 – Industrial hemp with Kurt Thelen
- August 22– Corn silage disease and quality management with Manni Singh
- August 29 – Harvesting weed seeds with Erin Hill
- September 5 – Calibrating yield monitors with Dennis Pennington