Have you said “thank you!” lately?
Thank-you notes have a purpose in your personal and professional life.
Think back to the last thank-you note, specifically a hand-written one that you received. How did it make you feel?
Thank-you notes have a great role in relationship building and connecting with others from both a personal and professional standpoint. Recipients feel recognized and appreciated when they receive a thank-you note. It is seen as a courteous and thoughtful gesture and can impact the future of a relationship.
When should you write a thank-you note?
- After receiving any type of gift
- After a job interview (if a decision is made quickly, you may send this note as an e-mail)
- After someone makes a donation in your name
- After someone goes above or beyond the expected
- After someone writes a letter of recommendation for you
- After someone helps you with a project or endeavor
- If you want to make a good impression
If you are unsure of whether to write a thank-you note, write one! 4-H Youth Development staff and volunteers should act as a role model and teach 4-H members the importance of thank-you notes. Writing thank-you notes can easily be tied into teaching projects and programs.
“The Seven Steps to a Great Thank-You Note” resource outlines the importance of thank-you notes, but most importantly, it details how to write a great thank-you note that will be a true positive impact on the recipient. Gratitude goes a long way!
Did you find this article useful?