Integrated parasite management program for sheep and goat producers
Learn to manage internal parasites in sheep and goats at Michigan State University Extension’s integrated parasite management programs located throughout the state.
Internal parasite management is a major hurdle for success in both sheep and goat production. To help sheep and goat producers deal with this challenge, Michigan State University Extension is offering a parasite management program for sheep and goat producers to learn how to effectively deal with parasite issues.
Join Dr. Richard Ehrhardt, MSU Small Ruminant Specialist and Mike Metzger, Michigan State University Extension Small Ruminant Educator, as well as other Michigan State University Extension staff at a location convenient to you for a day of fun-filled learning activities that will include both classroom and on-farm activities and training.
Educational programs will be held at three locations across Michigan:
- July 23 – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Monsanto Research Barn, 474 S. Onondaga Rd., Mason, Michigan
- July 30 – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Vienna Township Hall, 2734 M-332, Atlanta, Michigan
- August 20 – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Olive Township Hall, 6480 136th Ave, Holland, Michigan
Topics will include:
- Parasite Biology
- Grazing management interventions
- Infection monitoring principles and techniques
- Fecal egg count demonstration and practice
- Strategic treatment strategies
- Evaluation of treatment efficacy
- Chemical resistant parasite populations: real or imagined?
Registration is $30 for the first person per farm, each additional person from the same farm can register for $10. Lunch is provided. Registration includes the cost of the session and a FAMACHA® card. Registration can be completed with credit/debit card online at https://commerce.cashnet.com/msu_3645 and then selecting "ANS Events" or by sending name, address, telephone or email and payment to: Michigan State University, Attn: Carla McLachlan, 1290 Anthony Hall, East Lansing , MI 48824. For additional information, you may contact Carla at MCLACHL2@msu.edu or 517-432-5402.