Michigan State University scientists to showcase latest in agricultural research
Members of Michigan’s agriculture industry and local residents are invited to attend the upcoming research field days at Michigan State University’s outlying research facilities throughout the state this summer.
May 8, 2018
Michigan State University researchers to showcase latest in agricultural research
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Members of Michigan’s agriculture industry and local residents are invited to attend the upcoming research field days at Michigan State University’s outlying research facilities throughout the state this summer.
MSU scientists will present findings from their current research ranging from malting barley and dry beans to forages and fruit and vegetable technologies, as well as answer questions from attendees.
Field days are as scheduled:
- The W.K. Kellogg Biological Station near Hickory Corners will host a cover crop walk on April 26 from 5 to 7 p.m. The center will also host a malting barley field day on June 20 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., a Pasture Dairy Center open house on July 24 from 4 to 8 p.m. and a cover crop field day on Nov. 1. For more information, call 269-671-5117.
- The Upper Peninsula Research and Extension Center outside Chatham will host the U.P. Twilight Forage Program on June 13 from 6 to 9 p.m. This free event will highlight current research trials on forage performance, annual clovers, cover crop and reduced-lignin alfalfa, peas and oats. It will conclude with a presentation from third-generation farmer and forage expert Mike Buis on integrating cover crops with livestock operations, including using forage for grazing between cash crop growing seasons. Light refreshments are included. For more information, call 616-443-8782 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center near Benton Harbor will host the 2018 MSU Agriculture Innovation Day on June 28. The event will focus on fruit and vegetable technologies. For more information, call 269-944-1477.
- The Montcalm Research Center near Lakeview will host a potato field day on August 9. For more information, call 989-365-3473.
- The Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center near Frankenmuth will host a sugarbeet field day on August 21 and a dry bean field day on August 30. Topics will include plant breeding, soil health and weed management. For more information, call 989-652-8014.
- The Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center near Traverse City will host a field day on August 23. For more information, call 231-946-1510.
- The Trevor Nichols Research Center near Fennville will host a field day on September 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. For more information, call 269-561-5040.
For more information on the research centers, visit http://www.canr.msu.edu/research/centers/.