Michigan ranks fourth in the United States for hop production
Annual MSU Extension survey documents growth in hop production.
In December of 2015, Michigan State University Extension developed and administered a survey in conjunction with the Hop Growers of Michigan. The survey sought to determine the state of the industry at the end of 2015 and projections for 2016. The results were recently presented at the annual Michigan Brewers Guild Conference in Kalamazoo. Those that completed the online survey responded to the questions below (n= number of respondents):
- How many total acres of hops did you have planted in 2015? (n=37)
- Of these, how many were harvested? (n=37)
- Provide an estimate of yield (lbs/acre) by variety (n=30, 16 varieties)
- 2015 gross sales (n=33, >0 =22)
- What percent of hops were sold directly to a brewer? (n=23)
- How many total acres will you have in 2016? (n=38)
- Indicate what tasks your farm/business engages in (choose all that apply) (n=32)
The results suggest that Michigan’s hop industry is growing steadily to meet the increasing demand from craft breweries in Michigan and beyond.