MSU Extension makes a difference in Mackinac County in 2018
District director Erin Carter reflects on the MSU Extension educational programs during 2018 that help Mackinac County residents improve their lives.
Over the past year, Michigan State University (MSU) Extension partnered with Mackinac County to continue strengthening youth, families, businesses and communities. Your MSU Extension staff members, grounded in local relationships, serve by bringing the university’s research and resources to provide outreach and education in the areas Mackinac County residents need it most.
In this piece, we’re excited to share about the people and programs that are improving the lives of Mackinac County residents in many ways, including helping grow Michigan’s agriculture economy, encouraging sustainable use of our natural resources, controlling health care costs by giving individuals the information they need to manage chronic illness and preparing tomorrow’s leaders. From an in-person workshop to online education, MSU Extension professionals work every day to provide the most current information when people need it to ensure their success – in the workplace, at home and in the community.
Making a difference by the numbers
We have gathered numbers to give an overview of some of the highlights of the difference we're making:
- $1,946,456 total economic impact in Mackinac County
- 55 Mackinac County youth involved in Michigan 4-H
- 11,972 visits from Mackinac County residents on the MSU Extension website resources
- $12,493 spending with local businesses
- 3 Extension professionals based and served in the county and 48 more provided educational opportunities in the county
- 133 hours invested in Mackinac County projects and gardens by Master Gardener volunteers
- Find out more about MSU's presence and contribution to Mackinac County residents
We’re passionate about serving Mackinac County, have been for over 100 years and we're looking forward to a new year of serving. Thank you for your continued support of MSU Extension and for partnering with us to make a difference.
Did you find this article useful?