MSU Extension offers learning opportunities for small, medium and large farms
MI Ag Ideas to Grow With Virtual Conference is offered February 27 – March 10, 2023 and highlights beekeeping, livestock production, environmental management and farmers markets.
Livestock farmers are continuously focused on improving the practices that they use to raise animals. Even small improvements can greatly impact the care that the animals receive and the bottom line for the business. By continuously utilizing educational experiences and reviewing newly developed resources, farmers can continue to grow and better manage their herds, while focusing on productivity.
One option where farmers can gain knowledge, hear about current research initiatives and results and learn new skills to invest in their operation is during the Michigan Ag Ideas to Grow With virtual conference. This conference is the Michigan State University Extension feature event for MSU’s Agriculture and Natural Resources month, which is held throughout the month of March. Over 60 sessions focused on agricultural topics will be delivered via Zoom and available for attendees from anywhere in the world.
Specific sessions emphasizing livestock production will be hosted the last week of February and the first week of March. Each session will begin at 6 p.m. and last approximately 30 minutes, with time for questions and answers with the speakers. The featured topics include:
- February 27: Getting Started with Beekeeping with Ana Heck
- February 28: Backyard Poultry; Facilities, Health and Animal Care Tips with Katie Ockert
- March 1: Basics of Biosecurity; Protecting Your Herd/Flock from Disease with Katie Ockert and Casey Zangaro
- March 2: The Michigan Manure Hauler Certification Program Value Proposition with Charles Gould
- March 6: Best Practices for the Care of Your Horses with Tom Guthrie
- March 7: Parasites are Pests! Controlling Parasites in Your Livestock with Dave Thompson and Beth Ferry
- March 8: Interested in Selling at Farmers Markets? With Mike Metzger
The 2023 MI Ag Ideas to Grow With conference will be held virtually, February 27-March 10, 2023. This two-week program encompasses many aspects of the agricultural industry and offers a full array of educational sessions for farmers and homeowners interested in food production and other agricultural endeavors. While there is no cost to participate, attendees must register to receive the necessary Zoom links. Registrants can attend as many sessions as they would like and are also able to jump around between tracks. RUP and CCA credits will be offered for several sessions. Recordings of all sessions will be available in the following weeks but attending the live sessions will give participants the opportunity to ask questions and interact with speakers. More information can be found at: https://www.canr.msu.edu/miagideas/.