MSU partnership offers free services to food businesses
Making It In Michigan First Time Vendor Program is powered by Pure Michigan Business Connect and the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Michigan State University Extension and the MSU Product Center are happy to announce that five businesses from the 2023 Making It In Michigan (MIIM) Trade Show have been chosen to receiving a free bundle of services as part of the 2023 MIIM First Time Vendor Program. This program is powered by Pure Michigan Business Connect (PMBC) and the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD).
The winning Michigan food companies listed below were chosen due to their innovative products, location in the state, and having been a first-time vendor at the MIIM Trade Show this year.
- Shortie’s TC, a specialty cracker and shortbread cookie company out of Traverse City
- Five Lakes Coffee, a coffee business in eight locations with big ideas, headquartered in Sturgis
- Sister Bee’s, a company with honey, personal care products, and much more out of Ludington
- The Mush Hub, a fungi boutique and guide on all things mushrooms and truffles in Royal Oak
- Pizza Katerina, a restaurant with wholesale frozen dough and frozen gourmet pizza products in Kalamazoo
All five businesses will receive an initial consultation with PMBC and MDARD as well as receive unlimited counseling by the MSU Product Center. Based on the needs of each company, the MSU Product Center will also provide the following services to assist them in launching their products:
- Production Efficiency Consultation
- Retort Process Set-Up at the MSU Food Processing Innovation Center (FPIC)
- MSU FPIC 1 Day Rental Fee Waived
- Labeling ClaimsConsultation by Specialized Services
- Nutrition Facts Label Development
The Michigan State University (MSU) Extension Product Center provides business counseling and helps Michigan entrepreneurs launch new food products. The MSU Product Center is a resource for Michigan-based food and beverage companies to develop Nutrition Facts labeling for products. This is a fee-based service. Join the MSU Product Center by clicking on the “Become a Client” link here. Starting in July 2023, the application fee to join the MSU Product Center will be $100.