New MSU Floriculture production website
Editor’s note: This article is from the archives of the MSU Crop Advisory Team Alerts. Check the label of any pesticide referenced to ensure your use is included.
A new MSU website has been developed for greenhouse growers of floriculture crops: http://flor.hrt.msu.edu. In the “Production Information” tab, over 100 MSU articles that were first printed in the popular greenhouse trade magazines are available to download. The articles focus on production information of specific crop types (annual bedding plants, perennials, and potted flowering plants) as well as on growing and cultural practices (managing light and temperature, and use of PGRs). Articles on marketing have also been recently added. This website replaces the older MSU Floriculture Area of Expertise website.
The website also contains links to related MSU websites for the floriculture industry, such as:
- The Plant Growth Regulator Research website: photos of how dozens of floriculture crops have responded to applications of a wide range of PGRs.
- The Greenhouse Energy Resources website: cultural and technical information on how to produce greenhouse crops more efficiently and reduce energy consumption.
- The MSU Trial Gardens website: information on how plants have performed in mid-Michigan in trial beds and in containers.
- The 2010 Michigan Garden Plant Tour website: a coordinated open house with seven leading young ornamental plant producers and MSU.
- The Environmental Assurance Program: an environmental risk assessment tool and help for growers to become MAEAP certified.
Many of these websites are updated frequently, so check back often for the most recent research-based information generated at MSU. You’ll also find information on grower outreach activities and educational programs for the floriculture industry in Michigan and beyond.