Requirements for running a November 8 election campaign

I lost my election on August 2, but I don’t want to give up yet.

It’s not uncommon for Michigan State University Extension educators to receive questions following elections. One question that arrived on the evening of the August 2 primary election was from an individual asking, “If I ran an unsuccessful write-in campaign for a local election, is it possible to be listed as an independent on the November 8 ballot?” 

MSU Extension educator John Amrhein explains in his article Know the filing deadlines if you are planning to run for public office  that “there are many decisions to be made, facts to learn, and plans to be created when considering a run for elected public office. The preparation for such a position may take months or years. One critical detail is time sensitive however, and that is the deadline to file nominating petitions to get on the ballot. The Michigan Secretary of State, Ruth Johnson, has information on filing, campaign finance, and other topics for candidates at the Information for Candidates website.” 

The specific answer to the question above can be found in the document Filing Requirements, No Party Affiliation Candidates, 2016 Election Cycle. Note that the deadline for submitting qualifying petition signatures has passed; the deadline was July 21, 2016 at 4 p.m. Individuals who still desire to run for office can do so only as a write-in at this time. The deadline to file the write-in candidate declaration of intent for the November 8 election is 4 p.m. on October 28, 2016.

The MSU Extension Government and Public Policy team offers training for elected and appointed officials for improved effectiveness in several areas, including various public policy issues and effects of government programs, regulation, incentives, strategies and more. By working together with local elected and appointed officials and interested citizens, MSU Extension is able to provide education on critical local and state issues. The Government and Public Policy team also offers professional training in Parliamentary Procedure. To contact an expert in your area, visit MSU Extension’s expert search system or call 888-MSUE4MI (888-678-3464). 

Did you find this article useful?

You Might Also Be Interested In