Seeking Part-Time Professional Aide
This position will support the creation and maintenance of data management systems and data analysis and reporting for multiple highly visible and influential research projects. Apply by November 9.
October 29, 2018
The Michigan State University (MSU) Center for Regional Food Systems (CRFS) is seeking a part-time hourly professional aide to support the creation and maintenance of data management systems and data analysis and reporting for multiple highly visible and influential research projects. These projects, including the Farm to Early Care and Education (ECE) national survey and the National Food Hub Survey, fulfill vital relationships with national collaborating partners.
The Farm to ECE survey, in partnership with the National Farm to School Network is in its third iteration, and is intended to estimate the number of children reached by farm to ECE activities and determine trends in growth from the previous survey iterations for the general public and key stakeholders.
The National Food Hub Survey, conducted in 2013, 2015, and 2017, in collaboration with the Wallace Center, represents one of the most comprehensive data sets on food hub operations to date.
Part-time hourly at $20 per hour, up to 19 hours per week
As soon as possible, with continuation dependent upon performance and program funding
November 9, 2018 or until suitable candidate is identified
Reporting and location
Position reports to Noel Bielaczyc, Value Chain Specialist, and successful candidate will work as a team with additional CRFS staff depending on the research project. Work will be conducted primarily at CRFS offices on MSU main campus in East Lansing, MI.
- Develop data collection tools, including surveys, and assist with dissemination and distribution
- Perform data collection using survey software, online dashboards, and other platforms as needed
- Maintain integrity of data collected, including troubleshooting and communication with participants and project partners through direct phone and email communication
- Complete required Institutional Review Board (IRB) training for data management, and maintain high ethical standards and confidentiality in researching and reporting information
- Analyze, interpret, and report data collected through online dashboards, surveys, and other data collection efforts through written and online reports on a regular basis, as needed, including manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications and shorter summaries for general audiences
- Observe regular office hours as scheduled with supervisor. Be punctual for scheduled project and team meetings, and check-ins with supervisor and/or project team members.
- Represent projects and CRFS in a professional manner in all interactions and communication;
- Promptly respond to all forms of communication, including email.
- Help to foster, facilitate, and maintain the CRFS culture of anti-racism, trust, support and accountability.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting
- High degree of knowledge and proficiency with technology to complete job requirements including:
- Excel, SPSS and/ or other statistical analysis software
- Electronic survey software (Qualtrics preferred)
- MS Office Suite
- Online search, file sharing and collaboration platforms
- Phone/web conferencing systems
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communications skills, and experience using a broad range of communications tactics
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and communicate findings to general public and academic audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in teams and effectively and diplomatically engage and collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, self-motivation and ability to problem-solve and think critically
- Ability to self-direct and balance multiple projects simultaneously and to easily shift between working independently and as part of a team
- Content knowledge of and experience with food systems, including food hubs and/or farm to institution programs is preferred
- Available to travel occasionally within the state, as needed
To apply, please submit by email (with subject heading Professional Aide) a cover letter with your availability, resume or CV, and contact information for two references to:
Value Chain Specialist
MSU Center for Regional Food Systems
MSU Center for Regional Food Systems Mission
CRFS works to engage the people of Michigan, the United States and the world in applied research, education and outreach to develop regionally integrated, sustainable food systems.
Michigan State University
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Michigan State University employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status.