Thumb Ag Reviews offer research results to field crop growers
Five locations in December 2016 will provide learning opportunities for farmers and agribusinesses.
November 10, 2016 - Author: Phil Kaatz, Michigan State University Extension
Farmers and agribusiness professionals will have the opportunity to learn about the latest 2016 field trial research results during five Thumb Ag Review meetings held in December 2016. RUP, CCA and MAEAP Phase 1 credits will be available.
During the growing season, Michigan State University Extension educators have been busy in Michigan’s Thumb region conducting research and demonstrations at farm fields. The educators are part of the Thumb Ag Research and Education (TARE) Project and have been providing farmers and agribusiness professionals information for 12 years. The goal is to provide unbiased, science-based information that is practical and useful so farmers can make management decisions for their farm.
The backbone of the field-scale trials has been corn hybrid and soybean variety comparisons. In addition to the glyphosate hybrid and variety trials, other agronomic trials and soybean variety trial results will also be featured. Some of the highlights include:
- Corn nitrogen rate trial
- Corn population studies
- Biological corn seed treatment
- Soybean variety effects on soybean cyst nematode populations
- Xtend soybean variety trial
- Liberty-Link soybean variety trial
- Conventional soybean variety trial
- Soybean seed treatment study
- Alfalfa sulfur trial comparing AMS and gypsum
- Wheat management trials
The dates and locations for the meetings are listed below. Pre-registration with a registration cost of $20 per person is requested for all locations except for the Thumb Ag Day on Dec. 9. Register early online at 2016 Thumb Ag Reviews or call one of the numbers listed below.
- Thursday, Dec. 8, at the Saginaw Valley Research and Education Center, 3775 S. Reese Road, Frankenmuth, MI 48734. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m., meeting is 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. with lunch provided. Call 810-667-0341 to pre-register.
- Friday, Dec. 9, at the Westpark Inn, 440 W. Sanilac Rd, Sandusky, MI 48471. Registration begins at 7 a.m. with breakfast starting at 7:30 a.m. The meeting will start immediately after breakfast and ends at 11:00 am. Call 810-648-2515 to pre-register.
- Tuesday, Dec. 13, at the Lapeer County Education Technology Center, 690 Lake Pleasant Rd, Attica, MI 48412. Meeting is 5 – 9 p.m. with dinner starting at 5 p.m. Call 810-667-0341 to pre-register.
- Wednesday, Dec. 14, Thumb Ag Day, Ubly Heights Country Club, 2409 Atwater Rd, Ubly, MI 48475. Doors open at 9 a.m. – 3:30 pm. No pre-registration required.
- Thursday, Dec.15, at Gracies Country Inn, 9483 Genesee St, New Lothrop, MI 48460. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m., meeting is 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. with lunch provided. Call 810-667-0341 for pre-registration.
For more information about the TARE Project or the 2016 Thumb Ag Reviews, contact Phil Kaatz at 810-667-0341 or email@example.com.