Useful questions for youth animal show and fair judges
Great questions that can be used by judges to help youth explore the life skills within their 4-H project or any showing experiences.
The following list of questions can be used by judges with youth to help pull out life skills within their 4-H animal project experiences! The questions are broken out by project area, but could be easily adapted between areas. It is also a broad enough list of questions to hit on each of the life skills listed in the Iowa State Targeting Life Skills Model.
- What is one thing you did new this year that was successful?
- What is one thing you plan to do different next year? Why?
- How do you define sportsmanship?
- What makes you feel confident/how do you display confidence in the show ring?
- When your animal is not cooperating, what do you do to maintain your composure?
- If you knew another member in your club was cheating, how would you respond?
- Which animal in this class would you place at the top? Why?
- What is your breakeven price for this animal?
- What skills did you gain during your marketing campaign?
- When you selected your market animal, what factors did you consider?
- What goals did you set this year for you and your animal?
- What responsibilities do you have that your friends do not?
- Describe how your project has helped you develop leadership.
- Why is community service learning important in this project?
- Why is it important to keep good records?
- What steps did you take to ensure a healthy animal? Why is that important?
Did you find this article useful?