Veterans receive homeowner assistance

Special funds available in Michigan for eligible active military and veterans to avoid foreclosure.

Veterans have a special fund to receive homeowner assistance to help save their homes, called the Michigan Veterans Homeowners Assistance Program (MiVHAP). The Michigan Attorney General, Bill Schuette, targeted $5 Million from the National Mortgage Settlement to assist active duty and veterans with issues related to the foreclosure process.

The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund administers the funding assistance. Applications will be accepted based on the following eligibility qualifications:

  • Active duty service members with an owner/dependent occupied home in Michigan.
  • Active reserve members with an owner/dependent occupied home in Michigan.
  • Any active or reserve status service member who lost a home to foreclosure in Michigan since 2006 and still lives in Michigan.
  • Michigan Air and Army National Guard active and reserve status members.
  • Any honorably (including general under honorable condition) discharged Veteran living in an owner occupied home in Michigan or lived in a home lost to foreclosure since 2006.
  • Surviving spouse of a Michigan service member whose death occurred in conflict since 2006 living in an owner occupied home in Michigan or lived in a home lost to foreclosure since 2006.

Grant assistance will be considered for:

  1. Direct payment to mortgage company to cure default or reinstate mortgage from foreclosure.
  2. Pay delinquent property taxes if home is in foreclosure.
  3. Pay grant to assist with loan modification or to secure refinance of improved loan.
  4. If home is already lost, determine compensation to enhance overall financial situation.
  5. Essential home repairs to resolve safety or health related issues or retain property insurance.

Military service members and veterans interested in applying for MiVHAP grants can request applications and obtain more information by calling 517-284-5296 or by visiting Requests by mail may be sent to: Michigan Veterans Trust Fund, MiVHAP, P.O. Box 30104, Lansing, MI 48909.

Michigan State University Extension offices in many counties have certified foreclosure counselors you can talk to for free about your rights and assist you with the MiVHAP application. In other areas, find a housing counselor through MSHDA's counseling search. For more information about foreclosure in Michigan, go to the Housing link at MIMoneyHealth or MSHDA.

For more information on the National Mortgage Settlement:

Michigan State University Michigan State University Close Menu button Menu and Search button Open Close