Erin Burns, Ph.D.
Dr. Burns’ research and extension program focuses on current and emerging problematic weeds in Michigan cropping systems. Current research is focused on biology, ecology, population dynamics, and integrated weed management of problematic weeds with emphasis on practices to mitigate the development and spread of herbicide-resistant weeds.
- Joined Department: January 2016
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, M. Y. Refai, B. Bothner, and W. E. Dyer. 2018. Constitutive redox and phosphoproteome changes in multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. are similar to those of systemic acquired resistance and systemic acquired acclimation. Journal of Plant Physiology. 220:105-114.
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, L. E. Talbert, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Non-target site resistance to flucarbazone, imazamethabenz, and pinoxaden is controlled by three linked genes in Avena fatua. Weed Research. 10.1111/wre.12279.
- Burns E. E., B. K. Keith, M. Y. Refai, B. Bothner, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Proteomic and biochemical assays of glutathione-related proteins in susceptible and multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 140:69-78.
- Burns E. E., E. A. Lehnhoff, S. C. McKenzie, B. D. Maxwell, W. E. Dyer, and F. D. Menalled. 2017. You can’t fight fire with fire: Model suggests alternative approaches to manage multiple herbicide resistant Avena fatua L. (In press, Weed Research).
- Keith, B. K., E. E. Burns, B. Bothner, C. C. Carey, A. J. Mazurie, J. K. Hilmer, S. Biyiklioglu, H. Budak, and W. E. Dyer. 2017. Intensive herbicide use has selected for constitutively elevated levels of stress‐responsive mRNAs and proteins in multiple herbicide‐resistant Avena fatua L. Pest Management Science. 73:2267–2281.
- Prischmann-Voldseth D. A., E. E. Burns, S. Swenson, and G. G. Gramig. 2015. Life history and phenology of an endophagous stem-mining herbivore (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Hadroplontus litura) of a clonal weed. Entomol. Soc. Am. Ann. 109(1), 12-21. DOI: 10.1093/aesa/sav098.
- Keith B. K., E. A. Lehnhoff, E. E. Burns, F. D. Menalled, and W. E. Dyer. 2015. Characterisation of Avena fatua populations with resistance to multiple herbicides. Weed Res. 55(6), 621-630. DOI: 10.1111/wre.12172.
- Gramig G. G., E. E. Burns, and D. A. Prischmann-Voldseth. 2015. Predicting Developmental Timing for Immature Canada Thistle Stem-Mining Weevils, Hadroplontus litura (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Environ. Entomol. 44(4):1085-94.
- Burns, E. E., D. A. Prischmann-Voldseth, and G. G. Gramig. 2013. Integrated management of Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) with insect biological control and plant competition under variable soil nutrients. Invasive Plant Sci. Manag. 6:512-520.
- Prischmann-Voldseth, D. A., G. G. Gramig, and E. E. Burns. 2012. Home on the range: establishment of a Canada thistle biological control agent. Rangeland J. 34:2-5.
Published on March 31, 2022
Published on March 3, 2022
Published on December 20, 2021
Published on December 20, 2021
Published on May 26, 2021
Published on August 17, 2020
Published on June 23, 2020
Published on May 21, 2020
Published on April 30, 2020