Fred Warner, M.S.
Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences
Nematode DiagnosticianMSU Plant & Pest Diagnostics
Center for Integrated Plant Systems
578 Wilson Road, Room 117
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Diagnoses of problems caused by plant-parasitic nematodes in agricultural crops and turfgrass
M.S., Entomology, Michigan State University, 1986
B.S., Entomology, Michigan State University, 1980
Areas of Interest/Specialization:
- Nematode diagnostics and extension
- Grower education
- Nematode management
- Soybean cyst nematode ecology and control
- Nematode interactions with other pathogens
Overview of Current Program:
I am one of two Nematode Diagnosticians employed in Diagnostic Services on campus. Annually, we receive 3,000-4,500 nematode samples per year for which we provide diagnoses and management recommendations. Soil and roots collected from potato, soybean and sugarbeet fields comprise over half of the volume of nematode samples submitted.
My research typically consists of small trials conducted in the greenhouse or growth chamber to obtain information in order to make more informed control recommendations to growers. I also assist other researchers on campus with trials involving plant-parasitic nematodes.
- Plant Pathology, PLP 405 (guest laboratory instructor) 1986-2013
- General Nematology, ENT 470 (guest laboratory instructor) 1995-2007, 2013
- Management of Turfgrass Pests, PLP 362 (guest lecturer and lab instructor) 2001-2012
- Introduction to Crop Science, CSS 101 (guest lecturer and lab instructor) 2005-2012
- Plant Pathology, PLP 105 (guest lecturer and lab instructor) 2009-2013
- Advanced Crop Production, CSS 212 (guest lecturer) 2010
- 2012 Identification of Plant-Parasitic Nematodes, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (n = 7)
- 2008 Yech! What’s That? Insect Identification, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (n =20)
- 2008 Corn Nematode Identification, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (n = 11)
- 2007 Cyst Nematode Identification, NCPDN Regional Meeting, West Lafayette, IN (n = 20)
- 2006 Identification of Verticillium sp., NCPDN Regional Meeting, Madison, WI (n = 20)
- Chilvers, M.I., Warner, F.W., Jacobs, J.L. and Wang, J. 2012. Efficacy of nematicide and fungicide seed treatments for soybean cyst nematode and soybean sudden death syndrome in Michigan, 2011. Plant Disease Management Reports. 6:ST003.
- Bird, G.W., M. Hausbeck, L.J. Jess, W. Kirk, Z. Szendrei and F. Warner. 2012. Insect, Disease and Nematode Control for Commercial Vegetables. Michigan State University Extension Bulletin E-312. 164 pp.
- Bird, G.W. and F.W. Warner. 2012. Nematode Management (in) 2012 Michigan Fruit Management Guide. J.C. Wise , L.J. Gut, R. Isaacs, A.M.C. Schilder, G.W. Sundin, B. Zandstra, R. Beaudry and G. Lang (eds.). Michigan State University Extension Bulletin E-154. 283 pp.
- Schilder, A.C., Warner, F.W., Gillett, J.M. and R.W. Sysak. 2011. Evaluation of rotation crops for their ability to suppress plant-parasitic nematodes in strawberries. Phytopathology 101:5160 (abs).
- Wang, J., Serven, B., Wang, D., Warner F., Chilvers, M. 2011. Phytopathology 101:528 (abs).
- DiFonzo, C.D., and F. Warner. 2010. Insect, Nematode and Disease Control in Michigan Field Crops. Michigan State University Extension Bulletin E-1582. 75 pp.
- Soybean Cyst Nematode Sampling Program in Michigan.
- Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee, 2013, $30,000, PI
- Evaluation of Contans for white mold control in soybeans, varietal resistance to sudden death syndrome and soybean cyst nematode resistant varieties at heavily infested sites in southwest Michigan.
- Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee, 2011, $20,675 co-PI (Warner portion $3,000)
- Evaluation of sampling schemes for detection and assessment of population densities of the sugarbeet cyst nematode
- Michigan Sugar Company, 2010, $7,000, PI