Department of Entomology
ProfessorCenter for Integrated Plant Systems
578 Wilson Road Room 206
East Lansing, MI 48824 Trevor Nichols Research Center 6237 124th Avenue
Fennville, MI 49408
PhD - Michigan State University (1999)
MS - Michigan State University (1990)
BS - Michigan State University (1984)
Dr. John C. Wise is a professor in the Michigan State University (MSU) Department of Entomology, and Research and Extension Coordinator of the MSU Trevor Nichols Research Center in Fennville, MI. Wise runs the Applied Insecticide Toxicology lab on the MSU campus, conducting research on the performance mechanisms and plant penetration attributes of pesticides, pesticide environmental fate and arthropod resistance. A paradigm shift is desperately needed for pesticide delivery in fruit cropping systems. Studies show that airblast ground sprayers are functional, but as little as 50% of the pesticide reaches the target crop! Recently my professional focus is on the fundamental mechanisms of utilizing trunk injection for delivering crop protection materials in tree fruits. Preliminary results indicate that trunk injection provides discriminatory delivery that is favorable from a dietary tolerance perspective, while significantly reducing the environmental and worker exposure health risks associated with pesticide use. We achieved a front page article in the Michigan Farmer magazine, describing the ‘basis for’ and ‘potential benefits of’ trunk injection in tree fruit crops, as well as seven peer-review journal articles. I intend my trunk injection research to contribute important foundational knowledge, leading to a future new paradigm for fruit crop pest management.
Current assignment: Research 35% | Extension 25% | Administration 40%
My passion for teaching is reflected not only in my extension/outreach responsibilities, but also in the graduate student advising that I have had over the years. My graduate student guidance philosophy is to provide substantial one-on-one time up front to assure development of healthy research patterns for each individual student, and then later provide sufficient space for independence and self-confidence to mature with time.
Wise conducts research on the performance characteristics of new insecticide chemistries for control of fruit insect pests. He also investigates alternative delivery systems for crop protection materials in fruit agroecosystems. Wise runs the Applied Insecticide Toxicology lab on the MSU campus, conducting research on the performance mechanisms and plant penetration attributes of pesticides, pesticide environmental fate and arthropod resistance.
As Research and Extension Coordinator of the MSU Trevor Nichols Research Center (TNRC), Wise participates in a wide array of MSU extension offerings, including regional fruit extension events, the Fruit Team’s CAT-Alert, newsletters, and invitations to national and international horticultural conventions. Wise has developed a wide range of Integrated Pest Management and Good Agriculture Practices training programs, targeting large commercial farms as well as small underserved grower communities. These training programs have led to opportunities to offer training venues in other US states, like Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and New Jersey, as well as international train-the-trainer events in Chile, Mexico, Rwanda, India and the Philippines. Wise also contributes to various IPM (English and Spanish) pocket guides and is the production coordinator of the annual MSU Fruit Management Guide (E0154). Wise is the director of the North-Central region of the national USDA IR-4 project, which serves as the primary avenue for new reduced-risk pesticides to be registered with the EPA for minor-use specialty crops.
- Insecticide Performance
- Insect toxicology
- Pesticide environmental fate
- Insect resistance
- Fruit crop IPM
- IPM training
- 2014 - IR-4 NC Region Director, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1997 - IR-4 Field Research Director, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1997 - TNRC Research and Extension Coordinator, Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University
- 1990-1997 - Research Assistant, Entomology Department, Michigan State University
- Jamil, Z., C. Vandervoort, L. Gut, M. Whalon and J. Wise 2016. Lethal time of insecticides on the predator mite Neoseiulus fallacis (Acari: Phytoseiidae) following topical exposure. Canadian Entomologist. 148: 353–360.
- Aćimović, S.G., VanWoerkom, A.H., Garavaglia, T., Vandervoort, C., Sundin G.W., Wise, J.C., 2016. Seasonal and Cross-Seasonal Timing of Fungicide Trunk Injections in Apple Trees to Optimize Management of Apple Scab. Plant Disease. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-09-15-1061-RE.
- Aćimović, S.G., Q. Zeng, G. C. McGhee, G. W. Sundin, J. C. Wise (2015) “Control of fire blight (Erwinia amylovora) on apple trees with trunk-injected plant resistance inducers and antibiotics and assessment of induction of pathogenesis-related protein genes” Frontiers in Plant Science 6:16, DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00016.
- Wise, J.C., R. Vanderpoppen, C. Vandervoort, C. O’Donnell, and R. Isaacs. 2015. Curative activity contributes to control of spotted-wing drosophila (Diptera: Drosophilidae) and blueberry maggot (Diptera: Tephritidae) in highbush blueberry. Canadian Entomologist 147 (1): 109-117.
- VanWoerkom, A.H., S. G. Aćimović, G.W. Sundin, B. M. Cregg, D. Mota-Sanchez, C. Vandervoort and J. C. Wise. 2014. Trunk Injection: An Alternative Technique for Pesticide Delivery of Tree Fruits. J. of Crop Prot. doi:10.1016/j.cropro.2014.05.017. “IF- 1.663”
- Aćimović, S.G., VanWoerkom, A.H., Reeb, P.D., Vandervoort, C., Garavaglia, T., Cregg, B.M., Wise, J.C., 2014. Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Trunk-injected Imidacloprid in Apple Tree Canopy. Pest Manag. Sci. (online). doi: 10.1002/ps.3747.“IF- 2.743”
- Kim, S.H., C. Vandervoort, M.E. Whalon, and J.C. Wise. 2014. Transovarial Transmission of Novaluron in Choristoneura rosaceana (Harris), (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Canadian Entomologist. doi:10.4039/tce.2013.78. “IF- .667”
- Baributsa, D, L. Flores, D. Rukazumbuga, and J. Wise. 2013. IPM Knowledge and Dissemination: Rwanda Case Study. J. of Agri Education and Extension 1_14, 1750- 8622. DOI:10.1080/1389224X.2013.803989.
- Hulbert, D., R. Isaacs, C. Vandervoort, S. Earhardt, and J.C. Wise. 2012. Rainfastness of Insecticides Used to Control Japanese Beetle in Blueberries. Journal of Economic Entomology 105(5): 1688-1693.
- Mota-Sanchez, D., B. Cregg, E. Hoffmann, J. Flore, and J. C. Wise. 2012. Penetrative and Dislodgeable Residue Characteristics of C-14-Insecticides in Apple Fruit. J. of Agri. & Food Chemistry. 60 (12): 2958-2966. DOI: 10.1021/jf205169f
Tags: msu extension