Joseph Vargas, Ph.D.
Overview of current program:
We focus on turfgrass disease management by chemical, biological, and genetic means. We have discovered and registered a Pseudomonas bacterium for biological control of turfgrass diseases and are currently trying to expand its use into other areas. We have developed turfgrass disease preditiction models for three turfgrass diseases and are currently modifying them under field conditions. We have an active turfgrass disease breeding program to develop disease resistant creeping bentgrass cultivars.
- PLP 362, Turfgrass Diseases
- PLP 885, Plant Diseases in the Field
Extension and outreach activities:
- Michigan State University Turfgrass Conference
- Michigan State University Turfgrass Field Day
- Turfgrass Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
- Other turfgrass conferences around the world
Websites of Interest:
- Turgeon, A.J. and J.M. Vargas Jr. 2005. The Turf Problem Solver. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ. p. 246.
- Vargas, J.M. Jr. 2004. Management of Turfgrass Diseases. John Wiley and Sons. Hoboken, NJ. p. 322.
- Vargas, J.M., Jr. and A.J. Turgeon. 2003. Poa annua: Physiology, Culture and Control of Annual Bluegrass. John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, NJ. p. 165.
- Chai, B., Maqbool, S.B., Hajela, R.K., Green, D., Vargas Jr., J.M., Warkentin, D., Sabsikar, R., Sticklen, M.B. 2002. Cloning of a chitinase-liek cDNA (hs2), its transfer to creeping bentgrass (Agrostis palustris Huds) and development of brown patch (Rhizoctonia solani) disease resistant transgenic lines. Plant Science 163:183-193.
- Powell, J.F. and J.M. Vargas Jr. 2001. Vegetative compatibility and seasonal variation among isoltes of Sclerotinia homoeocarpa. Plant Dis. 85(4):377-381.
- Powell, J.F., J.M. Vargas Jr., M.G. Nair, A.R. Detweiler, and A. Chandra. 2000. Management of dollar spot on creeping bentgrass with metabolites of Pseudomonas auerofaciens (TX-1) Plant Dis. 84:19-24.
- Liu, C.A. H. Zong, J.Vargas, D. Penner, and M. Sticklen. 1998. Prevention of fungal diseases in transgenic bialaphos and glufosinate-resistant creeping bentgrass (Agrostis palustris). Weed Science 46:139-146
Suspected annual bluegrass weevil on golf course in Michigan
Published on June 13, 2022
Pythium root rot diseases on golf courses
Published on July 19, 2019
Joseph Vargas receives Distinguished Faculty Award
Published on February 21, 2019
Turfgrass fall wrap-up and snow mold
Published on December 4, 2018
MSU turfgrass expert named to Michigan Golf Hall of Fame
Published on June 6, 2016
Turf triumphs: From Friday nights under the lights to World Cup, MSU research plays vital role
Published on July 25, 2015