Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Professor446 W. Circle Dr., Rm 308, Morrill Hall of Agriculture
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Area of Expertise:
Environmental & Resource Economics
Ph.D., University of Minnesota
M.S., Cornell University
B.A., Swarthmore College
CV: File Download
Scott Swinton is a tenured professor of agricultural and environmental economics. He teaches undergraduate managerial economics and graduate research design and writing. He is Past President of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association and serves on its Executive Committee during 2016-19. His economic research looks at agriculture as a managed ecosystem, focusing on management and policy analysis for enhanced ecosystem services. He concentrates on problems involving crop pest, pollination, and nutrient management; precision agriculture; resource conservation; bioenergy crop production; and management of risks to human health and income. Besides his work on U.S. farming, he has extensive experience with agricultural and natural resource management in Latin America and Africa. MSU granted him its William J. Beal Outstanding Faculty award in 2015.
Research and Outreach Interests
- Design of incentives to induce adoption of environmentally beneficial farming technologies
- Valuation of ecosystem services linked to agriculture
- Design of sustainable bioenergy production systems
- Formulation of compelling research arguments
- Research Design and Writing in Applied Economics (AFRE 891, graduate, 2018 on)
- Economics of Decision Making in the Agri-food System (ABM 303, undergraduate, 2016, 2018 now)
- Applied Microeconomics (AFRE 900A, graduate, 2011-14).
- Agricultural Production Economics (AEC 855, graduate, 1994-98, 2000-10).
- Ecological Economics (EEP 255, undergraduate, 2007, 2009)
- Agricultural Operations Management (AEC 851, graduate, 2003-04, 2006).
- Agricultural Firm Management (AEC 851, graduate, 1993-96, 1998).
- Farm Business Management (FSM 330, undergraduate, 1991-98).
Associate chairperson for graduate study, 2011-16.