Timothy Miles, Ph.D.
- Follow on Google Scholar for a complete list of publications.
- Follow on Twitter to see current information and up to date extension.
- If you are interested in results from fungicide efficacy studies click here.
- Visit our website for information about the Small Fruit and Hop Pathology program at Michigan State University.
- Timothy Miles' CV
General areas of expertise:
Focused on diseases of hops, blueberries, grapes and other berry crops. Topics of study currently include: mycology, genomics, population genetics, pathogen detection, molecular diagnostics and host resistance.
Recent publications (2020-present):
- Alvarez-Osorio, A., Miles, L., Miles, T.D. Mummy berry caused by Monilinia vaccinii-corymbosi: a diagnostic guide. Plant Health Progress. (in press).
- Miles, T.D., Hancock, J. 2022. Inheritance of resistance to anthracnose fruit rot caused by Colletotrichum acutatum in highbush blueberry. Int. J. Fruit Sci. 22:160-169.
- Crandall, S.G., Spychalla, J., Crouch, U., Flor, A., Naegele, R.P., Miles, T.D. Rotting grapes don’t improve with age: cluster rot disease complexes, management and future prospects. Plant Disease Feature Article (in First Look) (M)
- Stergiopoulos, I., Aoun, N., van Huynh, Q., Neill, T., Lowder, S., Newbold, C., Cooper, M., Ding, S., Moyer, M., Miles, T.D., Oliver, C., Urbez-Torres, J., Mahaffee, M. 2022. Identification of putative SDHI target-site mutations in the SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD subunits of the grape powdery mildew pathogen Erysiphe necator. Plant Dis. (in First Look) (M)
- Hatlen, R., Higgins, D., Venne, J., Rojas, J.A., Hausbeck, M., Miles, T.D. First report of halo blight of hop (Humulus lupulus) caused by Diaporthe humulicola in Quebec, Canada. Plant Dis. (in First Look). (PDN)
- Higgins, D., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2021. Fungicide efficacy against Pseudoperonospora humuliand assessment of point-mutations linked to carboxylic acid amide (CAA) resistance in Michigan. Plant Dis. 105: 1880-1889.
- Purayannur, S., Gent, D.H., Miles, T.D., Radisek, S., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2021. The hop downy mildew pathogen Pseudoperonospora humuli. Molecular Plant Pathology. 22 755-768
- Naegele, R.P., Delong, J., Abdelsamad, N., Saito, S., Alzohairy, S.A., Miles, T.D. Population genetic analyses of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards using a high-throughput marker system approach. Frontiers in Microbiology 17: 705
- Higgins, D., Hatlen, R., Byrne, J., Sakalidis, M., Miles, T.D., Hausbeck, M. 2021. Etiology of halo blight in Michigan hopyards. Plant Dis. 105 859-872.
- Oliver, C.L., Cooper, M.L., Lewis Ivey, M.L., Brannen, P.M., Miles, T.D., Mahaffee, W.F., Moyer, M. 2021. Assessing the United States grape industry’s understanding of fungicide resistance mitigation practices for grapevine powdery mildew (Erysiphe necator). American Journal of Enology and Viticulture. 72: 181-193.
- Salcedo, A., Purayannur, S., Standish, J.R., Miles, T.D., Thiessen, L., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2021. Fantastic downy mildew pathogens and how to find them: Advances in detection and diagnostics. Plants. 10, 435.
- Alzohairy, S.A., Gillett, J., Saito, S., Naegele, R., Xiao, C.L., Miles, T.D. Fungicide resistance profiles of Botrytis cinerea isolates from Michigan vineyards and development of a TaqMan assay for detection of fenhexamid resistance. Plant Dis. 105: 285-294.
- Miles, T.D., Neill, T., Colle, M., Warneke, B., Robinson, G., Stergiopoulos, I., Mahaffee. 2021. Allele-specific detection methods for QoI fungicide resistant Erysiphe necatorin vineyards. Plant Dis. 105:175-182
- Wise, J., Miles, L.A., Acimovic, D., Vandervoort, C., Isaacs, R., Miles, T.D., Schilder, A.M.C. 2020. Sprayer type and water volume influence spatial patterns of pesticide deposition and control of diseases and insect pests of highbush blueberries. Int. J. Fruit Sci. 20:1805-1818.
- Purayannur, S., Miles, T.D., Gent, D.H., Pigg, S., Quesada-Ocampo, L.M. 2020. Hop downy mildew caused by Pseudoperonospora humuli: a diagnostic guide. Plant Health Progress 21:173–179.
- McCoy, A.G., Miles, T.D., Bilodeau, G.J., Woods, P., Blomquist, C., Martin, F.N., Chilvers, M.I. 2020. Validation of a preformulated, field deployable, recombinase polymerase amplification assay for Phytophthora Plants 9:466.
A complete list of peer reviewed publications is also available on my website here.
Michigan grape scouting report – September 21, 2022
Published on September 22, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – September 14, 2022
Published on September 14, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – September 7, 2022
Published on September 8, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – August 31, 2022
Published on August 31, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – August 24, 2022
Published on August 24, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – August 17, 2022
Published on August 17, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – August 10, 2022
Published on August 10, 2022
Michigan grape scouting report – August 3, 2022
Published on August 3, 2022
Michigan hop crop report for the week of Aug. 1, 2022
Published on August 3, 2022