Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
ProfessorG. M. Trout FSHN Building, 469 Wilson Rd, Rm 135A, MSU, East Lansing, MI 48824
PhD, Utah State University, 1983
MS, University of Iowa, 1978
MPH, Seoul Natl University, School of Public Health, 1975
2009-10 - Fall semesters: WCU Visiting Professor, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
2005-06 - Research Professor (Sabbatical leave), Ewha Womans University, Asian Food and Nutrition Research Center, Seoul, Korea; Korean Federation of Science and Engineering Society, Brain Pool Program
2004-05 - Acting Dean, College of Human Ecology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
1999-04 - Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, College of Human Ecology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
1993 - Visiting Scientist (Sabbatical leave), Department of Biochemistry, Temple University Medical School Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1983-84 - Post-Doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Nutrition and Food Science, Utah State University, Logan, Utah
1982 - (Summer) Nutritionist, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Utah State, University, Logan, Utah
1981-82 - (Falls) Instructor, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Utah State University, Logan, Utah
1980-83 - Research Assistant, Dept. of Nutrition and Food Science, Utah State University, Logan, Utah
1980-82 - Clinical Dietitian, Logan General Hospital, Logan, Utah
1979-80 - Preceptor for Medical Dietetic students, Ohio State University
1978-80 - Instructor and Clinical Dietitian, Mansfield General Hospital Nursing School/Hospital, Mansfield, Ohio
1975-78 - Dietary Assistant; Clinical Dietitian, University of Iowa General Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa
1972-75 - Research Associate, Research Institute of Samyang Food Co., Seoul, Korea
Nutritional epidemiology in community and global settings; food consumption behaviors in relation to chronic diseases; dietary patterns and health risks at the national and international settings; biomarkers and predictors for nutritional status in large populations with emphasis on the subgroups at risk; national and international nutrition surveys and its application in research; nutrition education – theories and application of technology
HNF 320 - Professional Practice of Dietetics and Nutrition
HNF 823 - Research Methods in Human Nutrition
HNF 890 - Supervised Individual Study
HNF 899 - Master's Thesis Research
HNF 999 - Doctoral Dissertation Research
Active research for subgroups who are socially and economically disadvantaged in the US (including migrant seasonal farm workers, WIC recipients, and SNAP participants) and in developing countries (including girls, pregnant women, and young children of food insecure households and communities)
1. Yang M. Floegel A, Koo S, Song W, Chung SJ, Chun OK. Dietary antioxidant capacity is associated with improved serum antioxidant status and decreased serum C-reactive protein and plasma homocysteine concentrations. European J of Nutrition 2013. [epub ahead of print] PMID: 2328784
2. Cha YS, Kim SR, Yang JA, Back HL, Kim MG, Jung SJ, Song WO, Chae SW. Kochujang, fermented soybean-based red pepper paste, decreases visceral fat and improves blood lipid profiles in overweight adults. Nutr Metab (Lond) Feb 26: 10(1):24, 2013. PMID:23442518
3. Wang Y, Chun OK, Song WO. Plasma and Dietary Antioxidant Status as Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors: a Review of Human Studies. In Nutrition and Cardiovascular Diseases. Nutrients. 2013 Jul 31;5(8):2969-3004. doi: 10.3390/nu5082969. PMID:23912327
4. Yang M, Lee SG, Wang Y, Lloyd B, Chung SJ, Song WO, Chun OK. Orange juice, a marker of diet quality, contributes to essential micronutrient and antioxidant intakes in the United States population. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013 Jul-Aug; 45(4):340-8. Epub 2013 Feb 20. 02/2013
5. Yang M, Chung SJ, Floegel A, Song WO, Koo SI, Chun OK. Dietary antioxidant capacity is associated with improved serum antioxidant status and decreased serum C-reactive protein and plasma homocysteine concentrations. Eur J Nutr. 2013 Dec;52(8):1901-11. 2013
6. Yoon DH, Lim MH, Lee YR, Sung GH, Lee TH, Jeon BH, Cho JY, Song WO, Park H, Choi S, Kim TW. A novel synthetic analog of militarin, MA-1 induces mitochondrial dependent apoptosis by ROS generation in human hung cancer cells. Toxicology and Applies Pharmacology. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013 Oct 22. doi:pii: S0041-008X(13)00463-8. 10.1016/j.taap.2013.10.015. 2013 [Epub ahead of print]
7. Shin DY, Bianci L, Chung H Weatherspoon L, Song WO. Is gestational weight gain associated with diet quality during pregnancy? Maternal and Child Health Journal. 18(6) 1433-1443, 2014.
8. Song SJ, Lee JE, Song WO, Paik HY. Carbohydrate intake and refined grain consumption are associated with metabolic syndrome in the adult Korean population, J of Acad of Nut & Dietetics 114:54-62, 2014.
9. Shin DY, Chung H, Weatherspoon L, Song WO, Validity of prepregnancy weight status estimated from self-reported height and weight. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 18(7): 1667-1674, 2014
10. Jung SJ, Park SH, Choi EK, Cha YS, Cho BH, Kim YG, Kim MG, Song WO, Park TA, Ko JK, So BO, Chae SW. Beneficial effects of Korean traditional diets in hypertensive and type 2 diabetic patients. J of Med Food, 17(1), 161-71, 2014.
11. Song SJ, Paik HY, Song WO, Park MS, Song YJ. Three distinct clustering patterns in metabolic syndrome abnormalities are differently associated with dietary factors in Korean adults. Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases. Nutr Res. 2014 May; 34(5):383-90. 2014
12. Wang Y, McCullough M, Chung SJ, Song W, Maria-Luz M, Koo S, Chun OK. Dietary carotenoids are associated with cardiovascular disease risk biomarkers mediated by serum carotenoid concentrations. J Nutr. 2014 Jul;144(7):1067-74. 2014
13. Song SJ and Song WO, National nutrition surveys in Asian countries: Surveillance and monitoring efforts to improve global heath. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 23(4): 514-523, 2014.
14. Shin DY, Song WO. Prepregnancy BMI is an independent risk factor for gestational hypertension, gestational diabetes, preterm labor and small-for-gestational-age infants. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. Sep 11:1-23, 2014.
15. Lee KH, Song WO. Dosage Effects of Enrollment for Migrant Head Start Children's Weight Outcomes. Health & Social Work, 40 (2), 142-150, 2015.
16. Song SJ, Paik HY, Song WO and Song YJ. Metabolic syndrome risk factors are associated with white rice intake in Korean adolescent girls and boys. British J of Nutrition. doi:10.1017/S0007114514003845; p1-9, 2015
17. Hossen MJ, Jeon SH, Kim SC, Kim JH, Jeong D, Sung NY, Yang SJ, Baek KS, Kim JH, Yoon DH, Song WO, Yoon KD, Cho SH, Lee S, Kim JH, Cho JY. In vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of Phyllanthus acidus methanol extract. J of Ethnopharmcology. 168: 217-228, 2015
18. Song WO, Song SJ, Parents’ BMI and weight perception are associated with overweight and obesity among children in Michigan migrant and seasonal farm worker families, J of Community Medicine. 1(1):3-8, 2015.
19. Shin DY, Song SJ, Krumhar K, Song WO. Snack patterns are associated with biomarkers of glucose metabolism in U.S. men. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition. 66 (5) 595-602, 2015
20. Shin DY, Lee KW and Song WO. Dietary patterns during pregnancy are associated with risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Nutrients. Nov 12; 7 (11), 9369-9382, doi:10.3390/nu70x000x, 2015
21. Kim WK, Shin DY and Song WO. Depression and its comorbidity more serious in women than in men in the U.S. J of Women’s Health (Larchmt), Dec: 24(12): 978-85. 2015
22. Jung SJ, Kim M, Park T, Kim Y, Song WO, Chae SW. Riced-based Korean meals (Bibimbop, Kimbop) have lower glycemic responses and postprandial triglyceride effects than energy-matched Western meals. J of Ethnic Foods, J of Medicinal Foods 2:154-161, DOI: 10.1016/j.jef.2015.11.002, 2015
23. Lee H, Kang MK, Song WO, Shim J, Paik HY. Gender analysis in development and validation of food frequency questionnaire: a systematic review. The British J Nutrition. Dec 115 (4), 666-71, 2016. doi:10.1017/S0007114515004717 ISSN: 0007-1145
24. Lee KW, Cho MS, Shin D, Song WO. Changes in iodine status among US adults, 2001-2012. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 67(2), 184-194, 2016. Feb 16, ISSN: 0963-7486. 1465-3478 (online) Journal homepage: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/iijf20
25. Shin DY, Lee KW, Song WO. Pre-Pregnancy Weight Status Is Associated with Diet Quality and Nutritional Biomarkers during Pregnancy. Nutrients, 2016, 8, 162; doi:10.3390/nu8030162
26. Lee KW, Shin DY, Song WO. Iodine status associated with dyslipidemia in US adults. Nutrients. 2016, 8 (3), 171; doi:10.3390/nu8030171
27. Song SJ, Paik HY, Song WO and Song YJ. Sex differences in the risk of metabolic syndrome and its diagnostic components in Korean adults. Biomedical Journals 5(2):1000233, 2016
28. Lee KW, Shin DY, Cho MS and Song WO. Food group intakes as determinants of iodine deficiency among US adult population. Nutrients. 8, 325; doi:10.3390/nu8060325, 2016
29. Lee KW, Song WO, Cho MS. Diet quality differs by consumption of meals prepared at home vs. outside in Korean adults. Nutrition Research and Practice. 10(3): 294-304, http://dx.doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.3.294. 2016
30. Song WO, Song SJ, Nieves V, Gonzalez A, Crockett ET. Nutritional health attitudes and behaviors and their associations with the risk of overweight/obesity among child care providers in Michigan Migrant and Seasonal Head Start centers BMC Public Health, PUBH-D-16-00470R2, 2016 (IF 2.16)
31. Venkatesh S, Conner T, Song WO, Olson B and Weatherspoon LJ. The relationship between dietary acculturation and type 2 diabetes risk among Asian Indians in the U.S. Public Health Reports. J of Immigrant and Minority Health. Aug DOI 10.1007/s10903-016-0482-3. 2016
32. Kim WK, Shin DY, Song WO. Depression is associated with dietary patterns in women. J of Medicinal Food (In print, 8/30). 2016
33. Shin DY, Lee KW, Song WO. Dietary patterns during pregnancy are associated with gestational weight Gain. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 20(12), 1-12, 2527-2538. Doi. 10.1007/s10995-016-2078-x. 2016
34. Lee KW, Shin DY, Song WO. Total water intake from beverages and foods is associated with energy intake and eating behaviors in Korean adults. Nutrients. 8(10): 617-620. 2016
35. Shin D, Lee KW, Song WO. Dietary Patterns during Pregnancy Are Associated with Risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Nutrients. 7(11):9369-9382, 2016
36. Song SJ, Song WO, Song, YJ Dietary carbohydrate and fat intakes are differentially associated with lipid abnormalities in Korean adults. Journal of Clinical Lipidology. 11, 338-347, DOI: 10.1016/j.jacl.2017.01.016, February 2017.
37. Lim M, Song SJ, Song WO. Prevalence and Determinants of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents from Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Families in the United States – A Systematic Review and Qualitative Assessment. Nutrients, 9, 188-201; doi:10.3390/nu9030188, 2017
38. Goldstein R, Abell S, Misso M, Raasinha S, Boyle J, Black MH, LI N, HU G, Corado F, Rode L, Kim YJ, Haugen M, Song W, Kim MH, Bogaerts A, Devlieger R, Chung J, Teede H. Gestational weight gain outside Institute of Medicine guidelines: Systematic review and meta-analysis of maternal and infant outcomes in over one million women. JAMA 317(21):2207-2225. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.3635, 2017
39. Yoon DH, Han CW, Fang Y, Gundeti S, Lee Ik, Song WO, Hwang KC, Kim TW, Sung GH, Park H. Inhibitory Activity of Cordyceps bassiana Extract on LPS-induced Inflammation in RAW 264.7 Cells by Suppressing NF-κB Activation. Natural Product Sciences 23(3): 1-7, 2017 https://doi.org/10.20307/nps.2017.23.3.1