Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor in Food Safety, Toxicology, and Risk Assessment469 Wilson Rd
Trout FSHN Bldg, Rm 234A
East Lansing, MI 48824
Area of Expertise:
Food Safety, Global Health
PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
AB, SM, Harvard University
Felicia Wu, John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor, joined the faculty of MSU in 2013 with a joint appointment in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition and the Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics. Previously, she was an associate professor of environmental and occupational health at the University of Pittsburgh.
Wu’s research examines the national and global burden of foodborne disease, how improved nutrition can counteract the harmful effects of toxins, and how cost-effective strategies can improve food safety in the United States and worldwide. Recently, her work has expanded to examine the risk of antimicrobial resistance from antibiotic use in livestock production, as well as how we can curb these risks. For her research on the impact of aflatoxin regulations on global liver cancer, Wu was awarded a U.S. National Institutes of Health EUREKA Award. She was commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO) to estimate the global burden of disease caused by aflatoxin and arsenic in food, and co-authored the WHO 2015 report on the Global Burden of Foodborne Disease.
Currently, Wu serves as an expert adviser to the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives of the United Nations. She is an area editor for three journals: Risk Analysis, World Mycotoxin Journal, and Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health. Recently, she was on the U.S. National Academy of Sciences panel on the future of animal sciences research for global food security. Currently, she serves as an invited reviewer for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. She has also been selected to serve on the MSU Presidential Search Committee. Wu earned her A.B. and S.M. in applied mathematics and medical sciences at Harvard University, and her Ph.D. in engineering and public policy from Carnegie Mellon University.
Research and Outreach Interests
- Global burden of disease caused by food contaminants
- World food trade and the impact of food safety regulations
- Mycotoxins: Economic and health impacts worldwide
- Transgenic crops: Mycotoxin reduction, and insect resistance to transgenic pest-protected plants
- Risk assessment and risk communication
- Social network models and agent-based models applied to population health and trade
1998 Harvard University A.B., S.M., Applied Mathematics & Medical Sciences
2002 Carnegie Mellon University Ph.D., Engineering & Public Policy
Appointments & Positions
2013-present John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
Director, Center for Health Impacts of Agriculture (CHIA)
Core Faculty, Center for Integrative Toxicology
Core Faculty, International Institute of Health
Advisor and Core Faculty, Center for Gender in Global Context
2011-2013 Associate Professor, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Secondary Faculty, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Secondary Faculty, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
Core Faculty, Center for Research on Health Care
Secondary Faculty, Center for Bioethics and Health Law
Faculty Advisory Board, European Union Center for Excellence
2004-2011 Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
2008 Visiting Professor, Seed Science Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
2002-2004 Associate Policy Researcher, RAND, Pittsburgh, PA
Research and Teaching
Fields: Food Safety, Toxicology, Mycotoxins, Food Security, Nutrition, Global Health and the Environment, Agricultural Health, Agricultural Biotechnology, Public Health, Climate Change, Indoor Air Quality
Methods: Mathematical Modeling, Quantitative Risk Assessment, Risk Management, Risk Communication, Economics, Policy Analysis
Awards & Honors
- Invited Reviewer, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), 2018
- Inaugural Food Fellow, Michigan State University Food@MSU, 2017
- Investiture Awardee, Michigan State University, 2016
- American Public Land-Grant Universities (APLU) Challenge for Change Selected Member, Global Food Security, 2016
- United States National Academy of Sciences: National Research Council (NRC) Committee on Considerations for the Future of Animal Science Research, 2014-2015
- International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Food, Nutrition, & Safety Program Scientific Advisor, 2014-2017
- World Health Organization (WHO) Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group (FERG) Member, Computational Task Force, 2012-current
- Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) of the United Nations, Expert Roster, 2011-current
- SCOPE-Zhongyu Young Scientist Award on Environmental Issues (1 of 3), 2011
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) EUREKA Award, 2010-2014
- WHO FERG Resource Advisor, Chemicals & Toxins Task Force, 2010-current
- Society for Risk Analysis Councilor, 2009-2012
- James L. Craig Excellence in Education Teaching Award Nominee, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, 2009, 2011
- Sigma Xi (National Science Honor Society) Distinguished Lecturer, 2008-2009
- Visiting Professor, Iowa State University, 2008
- University of Pittsburgh Outstanding Women in Medicine & Science (1 of 7), 2008
- Chauncey Starr Award, Society for Risk Analysis: Outstanding risk analyst age 40 or under, 2007
- NIH Early Career Award: Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Scholars Program, 2007-2011
- Guest Editor, Environmental Health Perspectives: “Developing Policies to Improve Indoor Environmental Quality,” June 2007
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Aflatoxin Elimination grantee, 2007-2008, 2006-2007
- Competitive Medical Research Fund, University of Pittsburgh, 2006-07
- Delta Omega National Honor Society for Public Health, Inducted Faculty Member, 2006
- Chair of Conference: Developing Policies to Improve Indoor Environmental Quality: Trans-Atlantic Viewpoints, 2005
- Society for Risk Analysis Best Paper Award, 2002, 2003
- EPA STAR (Science To Achieve Results) Fellowship, 1999-2002
- ExxonMobil Paper Award in Risk Communication, 2000, 2001
- IIASA (International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis) Young Scientists Summer Program, 2000
- Harvard College Scholar (Dean's List), 1995-98
- Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Merit Award for Academic Excellence, 1995-98
- Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Semi-finalist, 1994
Grants Funded as Faculty Member (current and past)
2018-2020 Co-Principal Investigator: Grand Challenges Canada, “Training caregivers to enhance early child neurodevelopment in the prevention of konzo disease from toxic cassava in Democratic Republic of the Congo” ($250,000 CD)
2018-2019 Principal Investigator: International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI), “Assessing Human Health Impacts of Global Adoption of Codex Deoxynivalenol (DON) Guidelines” ($50,000)
2013-2018 Co-Project Director: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agriculture & Food Research Initiative (AFRI), “Integrated Management Strategies for Aspergillus and Fusarium Ear Rots of Corn” ($5,349,650)
2015-2018 Principal Investigator: Insect Knowledge Management Program (Monsanto), “An Agent-Based Model of Insect Adaptation to Transgenic Insecticidal Corn” ($299,978)
2012-2018 Co-Project Director: USDA AFRI, “Risk Assessment and Intervention Strategies for the Emerging Food Safety Threat of Ochratoxin in the United States” ($1,500,000)
2013-2018 Principal Investigator: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, “Mycotoxins as a Risk Factor in Growth Impairment Worldwide” ($750,000)
2010-2016 Principal Investigator: National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Cancer Institute, “The Effect of Aflatoxin Regulation on Global Liver Cancer Risk” (R01: $1,480,096)
2013-2015 Co-Project Director: USDA AFRI, “Prediction and Mitigation of Foodborne Disease Potential of Emerging Trichothecene Mycotoxins” ($500,000)
2008-2012 Co-Project Director: USDA Biotechnology Risk Assessment Grant (BRAG), “Mycotoxin Risks Associated with Ethanol Co-Products from Conventional vs. Biotechnology-Derived Corn Grain” ($400,000)
2009-2011 Co- Principal Investigator: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, “Cost-Effective Aflatoxin Risk Reduction Strategies in Maize and Groundnut Value Chains to Improve Market Access of the Poor in Africa” ($2,700,000)
2007-2011 NIH Early Career Awardee: National Institutes of Health (NIH) Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Scholars Program, “Global Burden of Mycotoxin-Induced Disease and Cost-Effectiveness of Interventions” (KL2: $669,000)
2008-2009 Principal Investigator: Computational Public Health Initiative, University of Pittsburgh, “Modeling the Effect of Aflatoxin Regulations on Global Liver Cancer Risk and World Food Trade” ($20,000)
2007-2008 Principal Investigator: USDA Aflatoxin Elimination Workgroup, “Modeling the Adverse Impact of Aflatoxin Contamination to the Economics of U.S. Agriculture” ($27,000)
2006-2007 Principal Investigator: USDA Aflatoxin Elimination Workgroup, “Total Economic Impact of Aflatoxin: Models of Economic Loss and Industry Learning” ($10,000)
2006-2007 Principal Investigator: Competitive Medical Research Fund, “Achieving Healthy Homes for Asthmatic Children Through Educational Interventions” ($25,000)
PI: “Does Bt Corn Planting Reduce Aflatoxin-Related Insurance Claims?” United States Department of Agriculture
Co-PI: “Integrating Interdisciplinary Systems Analysis and Design into Graduate Research and Education at the Food-Energy-Water Nexus,” National Science Foundation
2009-2013 MycoRed: Novel Integrated Strategies for Worldwide Mycotoxin Reduction in Food and Feed Chains. European Commission
2012-13 World Health Organization (WHO) Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group (FERG): Estimating global burden of human disease caused by foodborne arsenic
2010 WHO FERG: Estimating global burden of human disease caused by foodborne aflatoxin
Invited Lectures and Session Chairs
- Food Research Institute Symposium, University of Wisconsin, 2018
- Innovation in Agrifood Supply Chains, University of California-Berkeley, 2018
- World Food Center, University of California-Davis, 2018
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Banbury Conference on Opportunities for Reduction of Aflatoxin Contamination in Food, NY, 2017
- USAID Livestock Systems Innovation Laboratory Symposium: Nurturing Development, Gainesville, FL 2017
- International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2017
- Sustainable Intensification of Agriculture International Workshop, Michigan State University, 2016
- Dairy Council Practices Annual Conference (Antibiotic Resistance), 2016
- Center for Research on Ingredient Safety Conference, East Lansing, MI 2016
- International Food Safety Workshop, Michigan State University, 2016
- World Mycotoxin Forum and International Union on Pure & Applied Chemistry (WMF meets IUPAC), Winnipeg, Canada, 2016
- Workshop on the Field and Science of Risk Analysis, Ann Arbor, MI, 2016
- Fate of the Earth (Plenary Speaker), Michigan State University, 2016
- USAID AgriLinks Webinar “Breaking the Mold” (Featured Speaker), 2015
- International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Food, Nutrition, & Safety Program Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, 2015
- W.K. Kellogg Biological Station Research Seminar, Michigan State University, 2015
- USAID Bureau for Food Security: Agricultural Policy for Maternal and Child Health Roundtable, 2014
- Antibiotic Resistance and the Agriculture-Health Linkage, Office of the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies Roundtable (OVPRGS), Michigan State University, 2014
- Plant Biotechnology for Health and Sustainability 3rd Annual Symposium, Michigan State University, 2014
- Center for Integrative Toxicology, Michigan State University, 2014
- ILSI Role and Use of Nutritional Studies in Evaluating the Safety of a Food or Ingredient, 2014
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) (Plenary Lecture), Aflatoxin Control Measures: A Basis for Improved Health in Developing Countries, 2014
- American Association of Cereal Chemists International (AACCI) Annual Meeting, Providence, RI, 2014
- USDA Foreign Agricultural Service: International Agricultural Biotechnology Group panelist, Michigan State University, 2014
- Biotechnology Regulation Immersion Course, University of Missouri, 2014
- Global Risk Forum One Health Summit (Keynote Lecture), Davos, Switzerland, 2013
- Toxicology Forum-Risk Governance Initiative (Keynote Lecture), Ottawa, Canada, 2013
- Aflatoxin Symposium, Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University, 2013
- Summer Academy in Global Food Law & Policy, Granada, Spain, 2013
- MycoRed Europe Conference, Martina Franca, Italy, 2013
- International Aflatoxin-in-Maize Working Group: Global Solutions for Worldwide Problems (Keynote Lecture), USAID/USDA, New Orleans, LA, 2013
- Mycotoxins: Triple Threat to African Development, Washington, DC, 2013
- The Role of Academic Medical Centers in Addressing Health Disparities Conference (Spotlight Lecture), Pittsburgh, 2012
- World Nutrition Forum (Keynote Lecture), Singapore, 2012
- MycoRed North America Conference (Keynote Lecture), Ottawa, Canada, 2012
- Impact of Mycotoxins on Gut Function & Stunting, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2012
- Conference on Food Security, Purdue University, 2012
- International Workshop on Socio-Economic Impacts of Genetically Modified Crops, Seville, Spain, 2011
- Nutrition Seminar Series, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2011
- Infectious Diseases Series, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, 2011
- MycoRed Africa Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 2011
- Society of Toxicology, 2011
- World Health Organization (WHO) Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group and Stakeholders Meeting, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010
- Michigan State University, Distinguished Scholars in Toxicology Lecture Series, 2010
- World Nutrition Forum (Keynote Lecture), Salzburg, Austria, 2010
- World Health Organization (WHO) Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group, Tunis, Tunisia, 2010
- Science 2010, University of Pittsburgh, 2010
- Global Health Research Development Seminar, University of Pittsburgh, 2010
- Gordon Research Conference on Mycotoxins and Phycotoxins, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Lyon, France, 2009
- Kenya Stakeholders’ Inception Workshop on Aflatoxin Reduction, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009
- International Society for Mycotoxicology, Vienna, Austria, 2009
- Brookings Institution, 2009
- Food for Thought Distinguished Lecture Series, Oregon State University, 2009
- Sigma Xi Distinguished Lecture – Environmental and Health Impacts of Transgenic Crops, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 2009
- Sigma Xi Distinguished Lecture: Aflatoxin - Reducing Health Risks Through Public Health Interventions, US Department of Agriculture (USDA), 2009
- Sigma Xi Distinguished Lecture: Ethanol and the Environment, Iowa State University, 2008
- Sigma Xi Distinguished Lecture: Ethanol and the Environment, University of Nebraska 2008
- World Mycotoxin Forum (Plenary Lecture), 2008, 2006, 2005
- United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity 4th Meeting of the Parties (MOP4), 2008
- Senior Vice Chancellor’s Research Seminar, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- National Fusarium Head Blight Forum (Plenary Lecture), 2007
- USDA Aflatoxin Elimination Workshop, 2007, 2006
- Monsanto Company, 2007
- Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., 2007
- Department of Energy, Energy Codes 2007
- US/EU Trans-Atlantic Conference: REACH, 2007
- USDA / North American Millers Association, Corn Dry Milling Conference, 2007
- USDA APHIS Biotechnology Regulatory Services Seminar, 2007
- Biosafety Institute for Genetically Modified Agricultural Products (BIGMAP) Symposium, Iowa State University, 2007
- Engineering Sustainability: Mascaro Sustainability Initiative, University of Pittsburgh, 2007
- Canadian Institute of Food Science & Technology Conference (Plenary Lecture), 2006
- Audubon Society, GMO Food Safety & the Environment, 2006
- University of Pittsburgh Board of Trustees Meeting, 2006
- Dutch Ministry of Housing Seminar, 2005
- 4th Canadian Fusarium Head Blight Workshop (Keynote Lecture), 2005
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Seminar, 2005
- Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics Seminar, Rutgers University, 2005
- Agricultural and Resource Economics Seminar, University of California / Berkeley, 2005
- Plant Sciences Seminar, University of California / Davis, 2005
- International Workshop on Health Implications of Fungi in Indoor Environments, 2005
- USDA Economics of Agricultural Biotechnology Regulation Workshop, 2005
- Harvard Workshop on Agricultural Biotechnology for Human Development, 2005
- XI International Union of Pure & Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) Symposium on Mycotoxins and Phycotoxins (Plenary Lecture), 2004
- Toxicology Forum, 2003
- World Congress on Risk, 2003
Provisional: “Compounds for Inhibition of Fungal Mycotoxin and Sporulation” (Strasburg GM, Mmongoyo JA, Linz JE, Wu F, Dissanayake AA, Zhang C-R, Wee JM, Nair MG). US Application Serial No. 62/443,998.
Professional Activities and Service
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report (AR6)
U.S. National Academies: National Research Council Committee on the Future of Animal Sciences Research
Joint Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations, and World Health Organization (WHO) Expert Meeting on Hazards Associated with Animal Feed
International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Food, Nutrition, & Safety Program
Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) Biotechnology
Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations, and World Health Organization (WHO)
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) Aflatoxin Control Measures: A Basis for Improved Health in Developing Countries
WHO Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group (FERG) Chemicals & Toxins Task Force
WHO FERG Computational Task Force
Harvard Center for Risk Analysis, Risk Perception Conference
International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI), Environmental Risk Assessment of Genetically Modified Crops
Carnegie Mellon University, Engineering & Public Policy, Air Toxics & Environmental Justice
Health Risk Analysis (2012-present)
Archives of Environmental and Occupational Health (2007-present)
Risk Analysis (2008-2011)
World Mycotoxin Journal (2008-present)
Environmental Health Perspectives (indoor air mini-monograph 2007)
American Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine
BioMed Central Medical Informatics and Decision Making
BMC Public Health
Bulletin of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Chemical Research in Toxicology
Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition
Critical Reviews in Toxicology
Environmental Health Perspectives
Environmental Science & Technology
Food Additives and Contaminants
Food & Chemical Toxicology
International Journal of Cancer
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
Journal of Food Safety
Public Health Reports
World Mycotoxin Journal
Proposal Review Panels
USDA Improving Food Safety
U.S. National Institutes of Health, Special Emphasis Panel (systems modeling) and NIEHS conference grants
Corn Rootworm (CRW) Knowledge Research Program, Monsanto Co.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cumulative Risk Assessment
National Science Foundation, Human and Social Dynamics Program
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES)
National Science Foundation, Decision, Risk & Management Sciences
Service in Other Professional and University Organizations
Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), Biotechnology
Society for Risk Analysis
Communications Committee, Society for Risk Analysis
Biological Stressors Specialty Group, Society for Risk Analysis
Risk Communication Specialty Group, Society for Risk Analysis
Center for Gender in Global Context, Michigan State University
Department Advisory Committee, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University
Department Chair Search Committee, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University
Seminar Committee, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University
Faculty Search Committee (Chair), International Nutrition, Michigan State University
Faculty Search Committee, Antimicrobial Resistance, Michigan State University
Faculty Search Committee, Food and Health, Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University
Faculty Search Committee, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh
Faculty Search Committee, Public Health Dynamics Laboratory, University of Pittsburgh
Faculty Search Committee, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Pediatric Environmental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
Faculty Diversity Committee, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh
Multidisciplinary Master of Public Health (MMPH) Organizing Committee, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh
Dean’s Day (Student Research), Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Society for Risk Analysis (SRA)
Society of Toxicology (SOT)
Mentoring Junior Faculty (formal), Michigan State University
Students and Postdoctoral Fellows, Current and Past
Advisor, graduated PhD Students
- Denis Male (2017): Dietary diversity to reduce exposure to foodborne toxins in Africa
- Juma Mmongoyo (2016): Aflatoxin in Tanzanian sunflower seeds and cakes, and botanicals to reduce Aspergillus growth and aflatoxin accumulation
- Shaina Stacy (2015): Impacts of hydraulic fracturing on local population health
- Erin Bilsten (2013): Mycotoxins in ethanol co-products made from transgenic vs. conventional corn
- Travis Bui-Klimke (2013): Health and economic implications of mycotoxin regulations worldwide (Keleti Environmental Health Award 2013)
- Pornsri Khlangwiset (2011): Cost-effectiveness of aflatoxin interventions in Africa (Keleti Environmental Health Award 2010, Delta Omega Thesis Award 2007)
- Yan Liu (2011): Global burden of aflatoxin-induced diseases (Rosenkranz Public Health Significance Award 2010; Student Merit Award, Society for Risk Analysis 2009; winner of 2007 Dean’s Day Award in MPH category)
- Tianxiu Wang (2016): Risk assessment of aristolochic acid
Primary Advisor, PhD and DrPH Students
- Thomas Biksey: Environmental health impacts of alternative fuel sources
- Zeying Huang: Health economics of environmental chemical exposures
- Nikita Saha Turner: Mycotoxin risk assessment in the US
- Ziwei Ye: Integrated sustainable agricultural and water systems for the State of Michigan
- Jina Yu: Impact of Bt corn on aflatoxin levels in US corn
Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Research Assistant Professors
- Chen Chen: Risk assessment of antimicrobial resistance from animal agriculture
- Nicole Mitchell: Aflatoxin exposure and child growth impairment
PhD/MS Committee Member
- Saud Almatairi: Risk ranking of different contaminants in apples and apple products
- Amber Goguen: Ecosystem services produced by recreational hunting
- Jongwoo Kim: Sustainable intensification of legume production on agriculture and health
- Juma Mmongoyo: Oilseed nutritional and toxin composition in Tanzania
- Shen Tian: Incorporation of human health risk assessment into life cycle assessment
- Ruoxi Xia: Economic impact of efforts to reduce Fusarium head blight in Canadian wheat
- So-Jung Youn: The role of fisheries in global food security
Advisor, Undergraduate Students
- Miles Kaltenbach: Life cycle assessment of water use and water quality from ethanol production from corn vs. switchgrass
- Zachary Mehal: Economic impacts of transgenic Bt maize in United States and South Africa
Thesis Committee Member
- Jennifer Boekeloo, MHA: Comparison of health care plans
- George W. Mitchell, MHA: Adolescent behavioral health
- Kristen E. Sonon, MHA: Mental health in nursing homes
- Maxine Wright Walters, DrPH: Health disparities in pediatric asthma
- Shuting Yang, MPH: Effects of over-stratification in survival analyses
Courses Taught, Past and Present
Michigan State University
FSC 891: Food and Environmental Risk Assessment
FSC 890: Concepts in Agricultural Health
HNF 823: Research Methods in Human Nutrition (guest lecture in Bioinformatics)
CEP 991B: Social Networks
Coca-Cola Webinar on Food Safety Risk Assessment
University of Pittsburgh
EOH 2180: Introduction to Risk Sciences (Craig Excellence in Education Award nomination)
EOH 2181: Environmental Risk Assessment Practicum (Craig Excellence in Education Award nomination)
EOH 2513: Critical Issues in Bioterrorism
PUBHL 2009: Critical Issues in Global Health
Liverpool-Tasie L, Saha Turna N, Ademola O, Obadina A, Wu F (2019). The occurrence and co-occurrence of aflatoxin and fumonisin along the maize value chain in southwest Nigeria. Food and Chemical Toxicology, DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2019.05.008.
Chen C, Saha Turna N, Wu F (2019). Risk assessment of dietary deoxynivalenol exposure in wheat products worldwide: Are new Codex DON guidelines adequately protective? Trends in Food Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1016/j.tifs.2019.05.002.
Saha Turna N, Wu F (2019). Risk assessment of aflatoxins in Bangladesh: Is the general population at risk from dietary aflatoxin exposure? Food Additives and Contaminants 36:320-6.
Chen C, Riley RT, Wu F (2018). Dietary Fumonisin and Growth Impairment in Children and Animals: A Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 17:1448-64.
Chen C, Mitchell NJ, Gratz J, Houpt ER, Gong Y, Egner PA, Groopman JD, Riley RT, Showker JL, Svensen E, Mduma ER, Patil CL, Wu F. (2018). Exposure to aflatoxin and fumonisin in children at risk for growth impairment in rural Tanzania. Environment International 115:29-37.
Ogunade IM, Martinez-Tuppia C, Queiroz OCM, Jiang Y, Drouin P, Wu F, Vyas D, Adesogan AT (2018). Mycotoxins in Silage: Occurrence, Effects, Prevention and Mitigation. Journal of Dairy Science 101:4034-59.
Bradford KJ, Dahal P, Van Asbrouck J, Kunusoth K, Bello P, Thompson J, Wu F (2018). The Dry Chain: Reducing Postharvest Losses and Improving Food Safety in Humid Climates. Trends in Food Science & Technology 71:84-93.
Mmongoyo JA, Wu F, Linz JE, Nair MG, Mugula JK, Strasburg GM (2017). Aflatoxin levels in sunflower seeds and cakes collected from micro- and small-scale sunflower oil processors in Tanzania. PLOS ONE 12(4): e0175801. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/metrics?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0175801.
Mmongoyo JA, Nair MG, Linz JE, Wu F, Mugula JK, Dissanayake AA, Zhang C, Day DM, Wee JM, Strasburg GM (2017). Bioactive compounds in Diospyros mafiensis roots inhibit growth, sporulation and aflatoxin production by Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. World Mycotoxin Journal 10:237-48.
Chen C, Wu F (2017). The Need to Revisit Ochratoxin A Risk in Light of Global Diabetes, Obesity, and Chronic Kidney Disease Prevalence. Food and Chemical Toxicology 103:79-85.
Spink J, Ortega D, Chen C, Wu F (2017). Food Fraud Prevention Shifts the Food Risk Focus to Vulnerability. Trends in Food Science & Technology 62:215-20.
Mitchell NJ, Hsu H-H, Chandyo RK, Shrestha B, Bodhidatta L, Tu Y-K, Gong Y-Y, Egner PA, Ulak M, Groopman JD, Wu F (2017). Aflatoxin exposure during the first 36 months of life was not associated with impaired growth in Nepalese children: An extension of the MAL-ED study. PLOS ONE 12(2):e0172124.
Mitchell NJ, Chen C, Palumbo J, Bianchini A, Stratton J, Cappozzo J, Ryu D, Wu F (2017). A Risk Assessment of Dietary Ochratoxin A in the United States. Food and Chemical Toxicology 100:265-273.
Mitchell NJ, Riley RT, Egner PA, Groopman JD, Wu F (2017). Chronic aflatoxin exposure in children living in Bhaktapur, Nepal: Extension of the MAL-ED study. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 27:106-11.
Male D, Wu W, Mitchell NJ, Bursian S, Pestka J, Wu F (2016). Modeling the emetic potencies of food-borne trichothecenes by benchmark dose methodology. Food & Chemical Toxicology 94:178-85.
Wu F, Mitchell NJ (2016). How climate change and regulations can affect the economics of mycotoxins. World Mycotoxin Journal 9:653-663.
Male D, Wu W, Mitchell NJ, Bursian S, Pestka J, Wu F (2016). Modeling the anorectic potencies of simple trichothecenes by benchmark dose and incremental area under curve methods. World Mycotoxin Journal 9:279-288.
Mitchell NJ, Bowers E, Hurburgh C, Wu F (2016). Potential economic losses to the US corn industry from mycotoxin contamination. Food Additives and Contaminants 33:540-50.
Havelaar AH, Kirk MD, Torgerson PR, Gibb HJ, Hald T, Lake RJ, et al., on behalf of the World Health Organization Foodborne Disease Burden Epidemiology Reference Group (2015). World Health Organization Global Estimates and Regional Comparisons of the Burden of Foodborne Disease. PLOS Medicine, DOI:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001923.
Gibb H, Devleesschauwer B, Bolger PM, Wu F, Ezendam J, Cliff J, et al. (2015). World Health Organization Estimates of the Global and Regional Disease Burden of Four Foodborne Chemicals and Toxins, 2010. F1000 Research 4:1393. DOI:10.12688/f1000research.7340.1.
Devleesschauwer B, Haagsma JA, Angulo FJ, Bellinger DC, Cole D, Dopfer D, Fazil A, Fevre EM, Gibb H, Hald T, Kirk MD, Lake RJ, Maertens de Noordhout C, McDonald SA, Pires SM, Speybroeck N, Thomas MK, Torgerson PR, Wu F, Havelaar AH, Praet N (2015). Methodological Framework for World Health Organization Estimates of the Global Burden of Foodborne Disease. PLOS ONE 10:12. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0142498.
Bui-Klimke TR, Wu F (2015). Ochratoxin A and human health risk: A review of the evidence. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 55:1860-9.
Wu F (2015). Global impacts of aflatoxin in maize: Trade and human health. World Mycotoxin Journal 8:137-42.
McDonald S, Devleesschauer B, Speybroek N, Hens N, Praet N, Torgerson PR, Havelaar A, Wu F, Trembaly M, Amene EW, Döpfer D (2015). Data-driven methods for imputing national-level incidence rates in global burden of disease studies. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 93:228-36.
Wu F (2014). Perspective: Time to face the fungal threat. Nature 516:S7.
Youn S, Lynch A, Taylor W, Cowx IG, Beard D, Bartley D, Wu F (2014). The value of inland fisheries to global food security: Challenges and opportunities. Global Food Security 3:142-8.
Wu F, Mitchell N, Male D, Kensler TW (2014). Reduced foodborne toxin exposure is a secondary benefit of dietary diversity. Toxicological Sciences 141:329-34.
Wu F, Bui-Klimke TR, Shields KN (2014). Potential Economic and Health Impacts of Ochratoxin A Standards. World Mycotoxin Journal 7:387-98.
Bui-Klimke TR, Wu F (2014). Evaluating Weight of Evidence in the Mystery of Balkan Endemic Nephropathy. Risk Analysis 34:1688-705.
Oberoi S, Barchowsky AA, Wu F (2014). The global burden of disease for skin, lung and bladder cancer caused by arsenic in food. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 23:1187-94.
Bui-Klimke TR, Guclu H, Kensler TW, Yuan J-M, Wu F (2014). Aflatoxin Regulations and Global Pistachio Trade: Insights from a Social Network Analysis. PLOS ONE 9(3):e92149.
Wu F, Groopman JD, Pestka JJ (2014). Public Health Impacts of Foodborne Mycotoxins. Annual Reviews of Food Science and Technology 5:351-372.
Austin S, Murthy S, Wunsch H, Adhikari NKJ, Karir V, Rowan K, Jacob ST, Salluh J, Bozza FA, Du B, An Y, Lee B, Wu F, Nguyen L-L, Oppong C, Venkataraman R, Velayutham V, Duenas C, Angus DC (2014). Access to urban acute care services in high- vs. middle-income countries: an analysis of seven cities. Intensive Care Medicine 40:342-52.
Wu F, Guclu H (2013). Global maize trade and food security: Implications from a social network model. Risk Analysis 33:2168-78.
Chen JG, Egner PA, Ng D, Jacobson LP, Munoz A, Zhu YR, Qian G, Wu F, Yuan JM, Groopman JD, Kensler TW (2013). Reduced Aflatoxin Exposure Presages Decline in Liver Cancer Mortality in an Endemic Region of China. Cancer Prev Res 6:1038-45.
Wu F, Stacy SL, Kensler TW (2013). Global risk assessment of aflatoxins in maize and peanuts: Are regulatory standards adequately protective? Toxicological Sciences 135:251-9.
Wu F, Wang T (2013). Risk Assessment of Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma Related to Aristolochic Acid. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 22:812-820.
Palliyaguru D, Wu F (2013). Global Geographical Overlap of Aflatoxin and Hepatitis C: Controlling Risk Factors for Liver Cancer Worldwide. Food Additives & Contaminants 30:534-40.
Wu F, Guclu H (2012). Aflatoxin regulations in a network of global maize trade. PLoS ONE 7(9):e45141, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045151.
Liu Y, Chang CC, Marsh GM, Wu F (2012). Population Attributable Risk of Aflatoxin-Related Liver Cancer: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. European Journal of Cancer 48:2125-2136.
Khlangwiset P, Shephard GS, Wu F (2011). Aflatoxins and Growth Impairment: A Review. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 41:740-755.
Wu F, Bhatnagar D, Bui-Klimke T, Carbone I, Hellmich R, Munkvold G, Paul P, Payne G, Takle E (2011). Climate Change Impacts on Mycotoxin Risks in US Maize. World Mycotoxin Journal 4:79-93.
Goldstein BD, Liu Y, Wu F, Lioy PJ (2011). Comparing the effect of the US Clean Air Act with smoking prevention and cessation on the risk of acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). American Journal of Public Health 101:2357-61.
Biksey T, Zickmund SL, Wu F (2011). Disparities in Risk Communication: A Pilot Study of Asthmatic Children, Their Parents, and Home Environments. Journal of the National Medical Association 103:388-391.
Liu Y, Wu F (2010). Global Burden of Aflatoxin-Induced Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Risk Assessment. Environmental Health Perspectives 118:818-24.
Wu F, Khlangwiset P (2010). Evaluating the technical feasibility of aflatoxin risk reduction strategies in Africa. Food Additives & Contaminants 27:658-676.
Wu F, Khlangwiset P (2010). Health economic impacts and cost-effectiveness of aflatoxin reduction strategies in Africa: Case studies in biocontrol and postharvest interventions. Food Additives & Contaminants 27:496-509.
Khlangwiset P, Wu F (2010). Costs and efficacy of public health interventions to reduce aflatoxin–induced human disease. Food Additives & Contaminants 27:998-1014.
Wolt JD, Keese P, Raybould A, Fitzpatrick JW, Burachik M, Gray A, Olin SS, Schiemann J, Sears M, Wu F (2010). Problem Formulation in the Environmental Risk Assessment for Genetically Modified Plants. Transgenic Research 19:425-436.
Biksey T, Wu F (2009). Biofuels: By-Products. Science 326:1344-1345.
Wu F, Bryden W (2009). Mycotoxins: Detection Methods, Management, Public Health and Agricultural Trade (book review), World Mycotoxin Journal 2:105-6.
Wu F, Liu Y, Bhatnagar, D. (2008). Cost-Effectiveness of Aflatoxin Control Methods: Economic Incentives. Toxin Reviews 27:203-25.
Wu F, Munkvold GP (2008). Mycotoxins in Ethanol Co-Products: Modeling Economic Impacts on the Livestock Industry. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry 56:3900-11.
Wu F (2008). A Tale of Two Commodities: How EU Mycotoxin Regulations Have Affected Food Industries. World Mycotoxin Journal 1:71-8.
Wu F (2007). Bt Corn and Mycotoxin Reduction. CAB Reviews: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources 2(060), 8 pp.
Wu F, Biksey T, Karol M (2007). Controlling Dampness and Mold in Homes: Lessons Learned from Radon and Lead Policies. Environmental Science & Technology 41:4861-7.
Wu F (2007). Economic Impacts of Fusarium Toxins in Animal Feeds. Animal Feed Science and Technology 137:363-74.
Wu F, Jacobs D, Mitchell C, Miller JD, Karol M (2007). Indoor environmental quality for public health. Environmental Health Perspectives 115:953-7.
Wu F, Takaro TK (2007). Childhood asthma and environmental interventions. Environmental Health Perspectives 115:971-5.
Adan OCG, Ng-A-Tham J, Hanke W, Sigsgaard T, van den Hazel P, Wu F (2007). In search of a common European approach to a healthy indoor environment. Environmental Health Perspectives 115:983-8.
Wu F (2006). Mycotoxin Reduction in Bt Corn: Potential Economic, Health and Regulatory Impacts. Transgenic Research 15:277-89.
Wu F (2006). An analysis of Bt corn’s benefits and risks for national and regional policymakers considering Bt corn adoption. International Journal of Technology and Globalisation 2:115-36.
Wu F (2005). The impact of mycotoxin legislation on world trade. AgriWorld Vision 5:25-7.
Wu F (2004). Mycotoxin Risk Assessment for the Purpose of Setting International Regulatory Standards. Environmental Science & Technology 38:4049-55.
Wu F (2004). Explaining Consumer Resistance to Genetically Modified Corn: An Analysis of the Distribution of Benefits and Risks. Risk Analysis (Best Paper Issue) 24:717-28.
Wolfenbarger LL, Andow DA, Hilbeck A, Nickson T, Wu F, Thompson PB, Ammann K (2004). GE crops: Balancing predictions of promise and peril. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2:154-60.
Wu F, Miller JD, Casman EA (2004). Bt corn and Mycotoxin Reduction: Economic Impacts in the United States and the Developing World. Toxin Reviews 23:397-424.
Wu F, Butz WP (2004). Public Initiative: What the ‘Gene Revolution’ can learn from the Green Revolution. RAND Review 28:26-9.
Casman E, Fischhoff B, Palmgren C, Small M, Wu F (2000). An Integrated Temporal Risk Model of a Drinking-Waterborne Cryptosporidiosis Outbreak. Risk Analysis 20:495-511.
Books, Book Chapters, and Professional Reports
Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities (Wu F, Co-Author) (2017). The Challenge of Change: Harnessing University Discovery, Engagement, and Learning to Achieve Food and Nutrition Security. APLU: Washington, D.C. http://www.aplu.org/library/the-challenge-of-change/File.
IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer). Mycotoxin Control in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (Wu F, Co-Author) (2016). IARC Working Group Report No. 9, Wild CP, Miller JD, Groopman JD (Eds.). International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France. https://www.iarc.fr/en/publications/pdfs-online/wrk/wrk9/IARC_publicationWGR9_full.pdf
World Health Organization (Wu F, Committee Member) (2015). WHO Estimates of the Global Burden of Foodborne Diseases: Foodborne Diseases Burden Epidemiology Reference Group 2007-2015. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. ISBN: 978 92 4 156516 5, http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/foodborne-diseases/ferg/en/.
United States National Academy of Sciences (Wu F, Committee Member) (2015). Critical Role of Animal Science Research in Food Security and Sustainability. The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C. ISBN: 978-0-309-31644-6, http://www.nap.edu/catalog/19000/critical-role-of-animal-science-research-in-food-security-and-sustainability.
Rose J, Wu F (2015). Waterborne and Foodborne Diseases. In: Climate Change and Public Health, Levy BS and Patz JA, Eds., Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, pp. 157-72.
Wu F (2013). Aflatoxin Exposure and Chronic Human Diseases: Estimates of Burden of Disease. In: Aflatoxins: Finding Solutions for Improved Food Safety, Unnevehr L and Grace D, Eds., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, DC.
Wu F (2013). Costs and Effectiveness of Interventions to Reduce Aflatoxin Risk. In: Aflatoxins: Finding Solutions for Improved Food Safety, Unnevehr L and Grace D, Eds., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, DC.
Wu F (2012). “Human Health Implications of GMOs: A Focus on Bt Maize and Mycotoxin Reduction.” In: International Workshop on Socio-economic Impacts of Genetically Modified Crops Co-organised by JRC-IPTS and FAO, Lusser M, Raney T, Tillie P, Dillen K, Rodriguez Cervezo E, Eds., European Commission, Seville, Spain, pp. 115-8.
Wu F (2012). “Mycotoxin control in animal feed: insights from public health.” In: World Nutrition Forum: NutriEconomics, EM Binder, ed., Erber AG, Austria, pp. 191-8.
World Health Organization (WHO) (2012).WHO Food Additives Series: 65. Safety evaluation of certain food additives and contaminants. Prepared by the seventy-fourth meeting of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
Improving Public Health Through Mycotoxin Control (2012). Eds: Pitt JI, Wild CP, Gelderblom WCA, Miller JD, Riley RT, Wu F. International Agency for Research on Cancer Scientific Publication 158, Lyon, France.
JECFA (2011). Evaluation of Certain Food Additives and Contaminants: Seventy-fourth Report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives. WHO Technical Report Series 966, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2011). Compendium of Food Additive Specifications. Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives. 74th Meeting 2011. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italy.
Wu F (2010). “Mycotoxins, Animal Health, and Economic Impacts in the Present and Future.” In: World Nutrition Forum: The Future of Animal Nutrition, E.M. Binder, Ed., Nottingham University Press, Nottingham, England, pp. 43-50.
Wu F, Farland WH (2007). “Risk Assessment and Regulatory Decision-Making in Environmental Health.” In Environmental Health Risk Assessment for Public Health, M.G. Robson, W.A. Toscano (eds.), Jossey-Bass Wiley, Indianapolis, IN, 31-54.
Wu F (2006). “Bt Corn’s Reduction of Mycotoxins: Regulatory Decisions and Public Opinion.” In: Regulating Agricultural Biotechnology: Economics and Policy, R Just, J Alston, W Huffman, Eds., NY, Springer Publishers, 179-200.
Wu F (2006). “Economic impact of fumonisin and aflatoxin regulations on global corn and peanut markets.” In: The Mycotoxin Factbook, D. Barug, D. Bhatnagar, H.P. van Egmond, J.W. van der Kamp, W.A. van Osenbruggen, A. Visconti, Eds., The Netherlands, Wageningen Academic Publishers, 83-94.
Silberglitt R, Anton PS, Howell DR, Wong A, Bohandy SR, Gassman N, Jackson BA, Landree E, Pfleeger SL, Newton EM, Wu F (2006). The Global Technology Revolution 2020, In-Depth Analyses: Bio / Nano / Materials / Information Trends, Drivers, Barriers, and Social Implications. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Silberglitt R, Anton PS, Howell DR, Wong A, Bohandy SR, Gassman N, Jackson BA, Landree E, Pfleeger SL, Newton EM, Wu F (2006). The Global Technology Revolution 2020: Technology Trends and Cross-Country Variation. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Arena MV, Younossi O, Galway LA, Fox B, Graser JC, Sollinger JM, Wu F, Wong C (2006). Impossible Certainty: Cost Risk Analysis for Air Force Systems. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Arena MV, Younossi O, Galway LA, Fox B, Graser JC, Sollinger JM, Wu F, Wong C (2006). Better Methods of Analyzing Cost Uncertainty Can Improve Acquisition Decisionmaking. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Orvis BR, McDonald LL, Raymond B, Rosenblatt K, Wu F (2005). Increasing Participation in Army Continuing Education. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Wu F, Matsumura J, Grossman J, Steeb R, van Lent M, Vu P, Wilson B (2005). Exploring Options for Behavior-Based Models and Simulations. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Arena MV, Younossi O, Galway L, Fox B, Graser JC, Sollinger J, Wu F (2005). Toward a Cost Estimating Risk and Uncertainty Analysis Policy. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Wu F, Butz WP (2004). The Future of Genetically Modified Crops: Lessons from the Green Revolution. RAND, Santa Monica, CA. (1 of 3 RAND Feature Publications in 2004)
Pfleeger SL, Wu F, Lewis R (2004). Software Cost Estimation and Sizing Methods, Issues, and Guidelines. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Pfleeger SL, Wu F, Lewis R (2004). Checklists Reduce Uncertainties in Estimating Software Costs. RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Anderson RH, Hearn A, Lewis R, Matsumura J, Pfleeger SL, Porche I, Steeb R, Wu F (2004). “High Performance Computing Opportunities and Challenges for Army R&D.” RAND, Santa Monica, CA.
Clemence R, Blickstein I, Grigg B, Lachman BE, McMahon S, Olmsted SS, Webb K, Wennar A, Wu F (2004). U.S. Navy Medical Capabilities Afloat: Developing Modeling Assumptions for Medical Supply and Demand. RAND, Santa Monica CA.
Orvis BR, McDonald LL, Raymond B, Rosenblatt K, Wu F (2004). Current Participation in eArmyU and Effects of Possible Program Changes. RAND, Santa Monica CA.
Morel B, Farrow RS, Wu F, Casman EA (2003). Pesticide Resistance, the Precautionary Principle, and the Regulation of Bt Corn: Real Option and Rational Option Approaches to Decisionmaking. In Battling Resistance to Antibiotics and Pesticides, R. Laxminarayan (ed.), Resources for the Future, Washington, D.C.
Small MJ, Fischhoff B, Casman EA, Palmgren C, Wu F. (2002). Protocol for Cryptosporidium Risk Communication. American Water Works Association Research Foundation, Denver, CO.
Wu F (2002). A Comparison of Values and Regulation of Genetically Modified Bt Corn in the United States and Europe. In Proceedings of the First International Doctoral Consortium on Technology, Policy and Management, E.F. ten Heuvelhof (ed.), Delft, The Netherlands.
Wu F (2000). The Tisza River Crises: Integrating Stakeholder Views for Policy Decisions. YSSP Working Paper, IIASA, Laxenburg, Austria.
News Articles, Media, Public Education, and Government Documents
Featured in Cummins, T. Futures (2018). Beyond safety and mutation. http://www.canr.msu.edu/research/publications/futures_magazine/, forthcoming.
Featured in Gianiodis, E. In the Field (2018). A window into the immersive work of Dr. Felicia Wu. http://www.canr.msu.edu/news/a-window-into-the-immersive-work-of-dr-felicia-wu.
Featured in Bernardo, R. WalletHub (2017). 2017’s Best Cities for Vegans & Vegetarians. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-vegans-vegetarians/39706.
Featured in Porterfield, A. Genetic Literacy Project (2017). Genetic engineering and gene silencing could fight deadly crop mycotoxins – if not blocked by activists. https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/10/18/genetic-engineering-gene-silencing-fight-scourge-crop-mycotoxins-food-not-blocked-activists/.
Featured in Wallace, A. United Press International (2017). Sunflower seeds traced as source of mold, liver carcinogen. http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017/04/21/Sunflower-seeds-traced-as-source-of-mold-liver-carcinogen/5961492786163/
Featured in Miller, K., Kylstra, C. Self (2017). Is Unpasteurized and Raw Juice Worth the Health Risk? http://www.self.com/story/raw-juice-unpasteurized-juice-health-risks-and-benefits
Featured in Cameron, L. Futurity (2017). Cancer-causing toxin turns up in sunflower seeds. http://www.futurity.org/sunflower-seeds-toxin-1409132/
Featured in Health Medicine Network (2017). Sunflower seeds infested by poisonous molds pose increasing health risks. http://healthmedicinet.com/sunflower-seeds-contaminated-by-toxic-molds-pose-increased-health-risks/
Featured in Wapner, J. Newsweek (2017). A Genetically Modified Corn Could Stop a Deadly Fungal Poison – If We Let it. http://europe.newsweek.com/gmo-corn-cancer-571136.
Featured in Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Technology (2017): Tarver T, 71(2). Reducing the Risk of Mycotoxins. http://www.ift.org/food-technology/past-issues/2017/february/columns/inside-academia-mycotoxin-problems-they-present-in-food-supply.aspx.
Featured in MSU Today (2017). Sunflower Seeds Traced as Source of Toxic Mold, Potent Liver Carcinogen. http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2017/sunflower-seeds-traced-as-source-of-toxic-mold-potent-liver-carcinogen.
Featured in Miller, K (2016). Nestle is Cutting Almost Half the Sugar in Your Chocolate. Yahoo! Beauty, https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/nestle-is-cutting-the-sugar-way-back-in-your-chocolate-152659844.html.
Featured in NPR Marketplace interview (2016). National Public Radio. Flour recall teaches us not to eat raw cookie dough. http://www.marketplace.org/2016/07/26/world/flour.
Featured in Science Friday live interview (2016), National Public Radio. Old Ideas May Help Us Fight New Superbugs (topic: Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria). http://www.sciencefriday.com/episodes/june-3-2016.
Featured in Chen, A (2015). 1 in 10 People Around the World Gets Sick from Food Each Year. National Public Radio (NPR). http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/16/459971675/1-in-10-people-around-the-world-get-sick-from-food-every-year.
US Agency for International Development (USAID) Agrilinks (2015): Nutrition-Sensitive Agricultural Programming. http://agrilinks.org/training/nutrition-sensitive-agriculture
Rose J, Wu F (2015). One of climate change’s biggest dangers is one the world still isn’t talking about. Quartz, http://qz.com/469541/one-of-the-biggest-threats-from-climate-change-is-one-the-world-still-isnt-talking-about/.
Featured in Miller, K (2015). Seafood Lovers, You Might Want to Steer Clear of Eating Those Crabs Right now. Yahoo! Health, https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-you-shouldnt-eat-these-california-crabs-155916637.html.
Wu F (2015). A monotonous diet isn’t just boring, it’s dangerous. Quartz, http://qz.com/375279/a-monotonous-diet-isnt-just-boring-its-dangerous/.
Featured in Koba M (2015). Antibiotics in meat: A public health controversy that isn’t going away. Fortune, http://fortune.com/2015/06/03/antibiotics-in-meat-a-public-health-controversy-that-isnt-going-away/.
Featured in Williams G (2015). How climate change could affect your finances. US News & World Report, http://finance.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-could-affect-finances-160350329.html
Featured in DiPierro A and Garner M (2015). 10 Recent Food Recalls You Should Know About. TheStreet, http://www.thestreet.com/story/13198305/1/10-recent-food-recalls-you-should-know-about.html.
Featured in Barnes Z (2015). 8 Things Food-Safety Experts Never Eat. Women’s Health, http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/food-safety-tips.
US Agency for International Development (USAID) Agrilinks (2015): “Breaking the Mold”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTh7tAdD_kU.
Foodborne Disease: Hazards, Risks, and Values (2013): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTcZJ7ao34&feature=youtu.be.
Davos One Health Forum (2013): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVMMf5DSgM.
Wu F (2004). Perceptions of food that are an ocean apart. Financial Times, May 13, 15.
Biopesticides Registration Action Document – Bacillus thuringiensis Plant-Incorporated Protectants (2001). U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.