We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or dropped off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control.
Here are some of the samples we accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for insect, pathogen and nematode analysis.
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification.
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis.
- Weeds and plants for identification.
- Weeds for herbicide resistance screening.
Note: If a pest or pathogen of regulatory concern is detected in a sample, we are obligated to notify the proper regulatory officials (ex. MDARD, USDA).
Services not offered
WE CANNOT ACCEPT MEDICAL MARIJUANA samples due to MSU compliance with federal policy.
For more information, please see FAQS on MSU and Marijuana.
Other services we do not offer:
- Soil and plant nutrient analysis. MSU’s Soil and Plant Nutrient lab is a separate facility and can help you.
- Mushroom identification.
- Identification of household mold.
- Pesticide residue / Mycotoxin testing.
- Examination of bites or skin irritations on humans and animals.
MSU Plant & Pest Diagnostics
Center for Integrated Plant Systems (CIPS)
578 Wilson Rd., Rm. 107
East Lansing, MI 48824-6469