Black Bean and Vegetable Quesadillas
Learn how to make a quesadilla that's packed with veggies, nutrients, and flavor!
Numer of Servings: 6 servings - 1 folded quesadilla per serving
Calories per Serving: 250
- 15 ounce can of black beans - no salt added
- 2 zucchini
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 cup canned corn - no salt added
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 6 (8 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce.
- Rinse lid of can, then drain and rinse black beans in strainer.
- Grate or cut zucchini into slices.
- Remove spinach stems. Cut leaves into small ribbons by rolling leaves together and making small slices.
- Repeat process with cilantro.
- If using canned corn, rinse lid of can, then drain and rinse corn in strainer.
- Shred cheese.
- Pour canola oil into skillet and heat on medium high heat.
- Add zucchini and a dash of cayenne pepper to skillet. Mix together, cover, and cook until zucchini is semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn and spinach to skillet. Mix together, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add black beans to skillet. Mash the beans, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of water to create a thicker texture.
- Add black pepper and cilantro. Mix together.
- Pour contents of skillet into a large bowl. Set skillet aside for later use, wiping down first if you like.
- Lay down tortilla. Scoop mixture onto one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle cheese over vegetable mix. Fold in half, pressing down gently to hold everything together. Repeat with other tortillas.
- Warm small amount of oil in skillet. Lay quesadilla in skillet, with rounded edge lining up with rounded edge of pan, leaving some space between. Warm until bottom half of quesadilla is golden brown. Flip starting from open side of quesadilla so that contents don’t spill out. Repeat with other quesadillas.
- Cut in half and serve.