Cheesy Hamburger Skillet
This dish will keep everyone in the family satisfied, with minimal clean up.
Numer of Servings: Serves 6, 1 1/3 cups per serving
Calories per Serving: 350
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3/4 cup shredded)
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes - no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a colander, drain macaroni and rinse with cool water.
- While macaroni is cooking, rinse and dice bell pepper. Peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Set aside.
- Grate cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef or turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic, crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Using a colander, drain off fat.
- Return to the skillet and stir in drained macaroni, tomatoes with juices, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot.