Garden Sloppy Joes
Adding vegetables to your favorite meat dish pumps up the vitamin, mineral, and taste factors. We added vegetables to a low-fat sloppy joe recipe and the results were fantastic!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Numer of Servings: 6 sandwiches
Calories per Serving: 280
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 carrot - chopped or shredded
- 1 green bell pepper - chopped
- 1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat turkey
- chicken or beef)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes - crushed
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or ½ pound chopped fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 6 whole wheat buns
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce.
- Saute onions, carrots, green bell pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Toast buns if desired.
- Spoon sauce unto sandwiches and serve hot!