Nancy’s Collard Greens
Try this recipe to add some healthy greens to your meals!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion - chopped or sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic - peeled and smashed
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 3 bunches collard greens
- 1 bunch spinach greens
- 1 large carton of chicken broth or stock or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup mild banana pepper rings
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 Tablespoon jalapenos with seeds removed and chopped
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce.
- Remove stems from collards and stack leaves together. Roll and cut into ½ inch lengths.
- Roughly chop spinach leaves.
- Add collard and spinach leaves together and wash in cold water, changing water about 3 times, or until water is clear.
- Coat a large pot with oil and add the onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Bring the pot to a low heat and cook until onions are golden, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add greens to the pot and stir them so they are coated with leftover oil while they cook.
- Add salt, pepper, broth or stock, banana peppers, and cooked veggies to pot with greens.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook for one hour on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with vinegar.
- Serve warm and enjoy!