Quick Pickle Zucchini
Overwhelmed by an abundance of ZUCCHINI?! Try this easy, tasty quick pickle recipe.
Numer of Servings: 3 pint jars
- 1.5 lbs zucchini or summer squash
- 6 fresh dill sprigs (2 per jar)
- 3 cloves garlic cut in halves (2 per jar)
- 1.5 tsp black peppercorn (.5 tsp per jar)
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds (.5 per jar)
- .75 tsp dill seeds (.25 per jar)
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- <1/4 cup sugar
- <2 tbs coarse sea salt (not iodized)
Make sure that your 3 pint jars are clean/sanitized and dry before you begin.
Cut Zucchini as you prefer: spears, slices, or chunks and load them into your jars, leaving half an inch of headroom/ or just under the lowest rim of a standard canning jar.
Add dill sprigs and seasonings, dividing them evenly between the jars. Optional: artfully place your dill and garlic along the wall of your jar.
To make the brine, heat water and vinegar up just to the point that your sugar and sea salt dissolve.
Pour the still hot mixture over your zucchini and seasonings into the canning jars - this releases the aromatics of your herbs and spices.
Allow to cool, cap the jar, and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.