Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Add more veggies to your quesadillas with sweet potatoes!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- ½ yellow onion (chopped)
- ½ can low sodium black beans (drained)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 1 sweet potato (precooked baked or microwaved)
- ¾ cup low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 5 tortillas (whole wheat if possible)
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and scrub all produce.
- Chop up your onion and add it to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in ½ a can of drained, low sodium black beans, and all of your spices to the mixing bowl.
- Next, add the juice of ½ a lime and mix your ingredients together.
- Add the mixture to a lightly oiled pan on medium heat. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring often.
- While your bean and onion mixture is cooking, scoop the inside of your precooked sweet potato out into the same mixing bowl you used for your bean and onion mixture. Once your entire sweet potato is scooped out of the skin and into the bowl, mash it up with a fork or potato masher.
- Once your bean and onion mixture is done cooking, add it directly to the mashed sweet potato.
- Add ¾ cup of low-fat, Mexican blend cheese to the bowl and mix it all together.
- Fill one half of a tortilla with the mixture, and fold it over to make the quesadilla half-moon shape.
- Cook both sides in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat, until the cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown.