Current and Potential Biotechnology Applications
Biotechnology is a rapidly growing field in agriculture. While GMOs (genetically modified organisms) are on the forefront of this field, other components include enzyme research, wildlife and ecology applications in natural resources and many more.
Applications are where biotechnology has helped to solve an issue in the animal industry. Examples include cloning, genetic engineering of milk for hemophiliacs, A2 milk, embryo transfer and AI.
- USDA Biotechnology FAQ’s
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- The Future of Biotechnology (Textbook Chapter)
- Genetic Engineering Examples (JournalArticle)
- The Clone Age Video
- Shetland Sheep and Huntington Disease
- Regulation of Genetic Engineering in Animals Article (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
- Genetically Modified Salmon Article (Scientific American)
- Glowing Rats Video
Brainstorming, Lecture Discussion, Paired or Small Group Discussion, Role Play, Demonstration, Case Study, Field Trip, Resource People, Experiment, Supervised Study, Debate