March 11, 2016
- Height: 25’ - 35’
- Spread: 13’ - 16’
- Site characteristics: Full sun; well-drained, moist soils; tolerates drought, clay soils and air pollution
- Zone: 5 - 9
- Wet/dry: Tolerates some drought once established
- Native range: China
- pH: 5.0 - 7.5
- Shape: Oval
- Foliage: Glossy green in summer; purple-red in fall
- Other: Has showy white, fragrant flowers
- Cultivars: ‘Aristocrat’ - wider shaped, yellow to red fall color; ‘Red spire’ - pyramidal habit, yellow fall color; ‘Chanticleer’ - oval to narrow oval. ‘New Bradford’ - improved branching structure.
- Pests: Some cultivars prone to branch breakage and fire blight
- Responsible use: In some locations, particularly in states south of Michigan, this species may have become invasive. To date, it has not been determined to be invasive in Michigan.
Print a PDF of this page: Callery Pear