Healthy Living Focused Websites for Families
January 10, 2019
A few of the many websites that can help you help your child learn about nutrition, physical fitness and healthy lifestyle choices are listed here:
- – This page provides links to the MSU Extension programs related to food, nutrition and health.
- – This page lists common food allergens and contains information designed to increase food allergy awareness, information and research. The site is part of the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans – This online version of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans encourages Americans to aim for fitness, build a healthy base (using MyPyramid when choosing foods) and choose sensibly.
- Dole 5 a Day: SuperKids – This site includes games, fun facts, songs, surveys and interactive special effects. It is sponsored by Dole Food Company as part of the national "5 A Day for Better Health" campaign.
- – Free Health Education Materials.
- – Information from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on eating right for kids, parents, men, women and seniors.
- – This is an official home of MyPlate, a tool designed to help people select foods for a balanced diet. The page offers links to information about MyPlate in English and Spanish. It was developed by the USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- – This is an adaptation of MyPlate designed with nutrition messages for children aged 6 to 11. It includes an interactive computer game, tips for families, and MyPlate for Kids posters. It was developed by the USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- Nutritive Value of Foods (USDA Home and Garden Bulletin 72) – This document, which is published by the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory, allows readers to research the nutrient content of favorite foods.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids – This site is great if you want to know more about sports!
- Team Nutrition Parent Place – Team Nutrition is a network of parents, teachers, food service staff, health and education groups, and the food and agricultural community. At this site you'll find information on improving the school nutrition environment and links to nutrition information for youth and families. Team Nutrition is a program of the Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- USDA for Kids – Participate in a variety of activities related to agriculture, food, natural resources, 4-H, science and more!