Improving Land Governance for More Equitable Fish Farm Development in MyanmarDOWNLOAD FILE
April 1, 2017 - Author: Ben Belton
Ben Belton. 2017. Improving Land Governance for More Equitable Fish Farm Development in Myanmar. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 33. East Lansing: Michigan State University
• Fish farming is a high value activity in comparison with paddy cultivation.
• Large fish farms in Myanmar have benefited from policy support.
• Growth of small and medium fish farms has been severely curtailed by land use restrictions.
• Small and medium scale fish farms create greater positive impacts in the rural economy than large farms.
• Redesignate aquaculture as a form of agriculture, in line with the definition of “agricultural land” found in the National Land Use Policy.
• Grant smallholders the freedom to farm in the manner of their choosing on land for which they have use rights.