Infant and Toddler Activity Pages: Marshmallow Edible PlaydoughDOWNLOAD FILE
March 23, 2021
Infant and Toddler Activity Pages
Marshmallow Edible Playdough
- 12 large marshmallows or 24 small marshmallows (about 2 cups worth)
- Measuring spoons
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or vegetable shortening)
- Food coloring (optional)
- 8-10 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Large microwave safe bowl
- Mixing spoon/mixer/whisk
Area of School Readiness
Perceptual, Motor, and Physical Development: According to the Head Start Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center, perceptual, motor, and physical development includes motor development and health, safety and nutrition. This includes gross motor or large motor skills (like jumping, running, climbing) as well as fine motor or small muscle skills (like holding a fork or buttoning a coat). Health, safety, and nutrition includes skills for self-care (like brushing teeth), knowledge promoting healthy eating habits, and personal safety routines.
Cognition: According to the Head Start Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center cognition is your child’s ability to reason, use their memory, engage in problem solving and thinking skills that help children learn about and understand the world around them.
Purpose of the Activity
Gross Motor and Fine Motor Skills: Your child will practice using the muscles in their arms and hands as they explore and paint with the marshmallow dough.
Exploration and Discovery: Your child will explore the gelatin as they play and explore the dough.
- Combine marshmallows and 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave about 30 seconds (until the marshmallows are fluffy), watching closely so as not to cook them too long.
- Add a couple drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Add 8 tablespoons cornstarch and mix the dough with a spoon or mixer until it thickens. If dough is still sticky, add additional cornstarch (1 tablespoon at time, up to 6 total) and knead (massage) the dough with hands until it is smooth and ready to use.
- Let your child play with the marshmallow dough and encourage them to explore and even taste it.
- Store in airtight container until ready to use & enjoy!